Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining a windows 7 network

Options
  • 27-02-2011 1:20pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just changed to windows 7 on my main pc, before that I was on xp. When on xp I could join the network on my macbook easy, it would just appear in the list of shared folders o the left in Finder. But now with Win 7 its being problematic. The first time it showed nothing, so I had to right click on finder, click connect to server, do an smb to my ip - it bring up the list of folders of my shared folders. I click mount and I can see my ip address in the list on the left. It works sometimes but others not, and then sometimes when I open my macbook again a day later, its gone and I have to repeat the process.

Am I doing something wrong is there a better way to always have the windows network available in the shared drives list?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

You need to lower the security level on the network settings on the PC, by default it has 'stronger' settings than on the Mac that blocks the SMB connection.

Goto Start Menu
    Search for: security
    Click on Local Security Policy
    Goto Local Policies> Security Options
    Double Click on Network security: LAN Manager Authentication
    Change level to: Send LM # LTLM Responses

Then, scroll down to Network security: Minimum session security for NTLM SSP
    De-select Require 128-bit encryption
    Hit OK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

For some reason OS X isn't quite as good at picking up Windows shares as Windows. Check out Tonido, it solved my networking problems.

Advertisement