Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very cold weather may return

Options
  • 27-02-2011 4:22am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

High pressure is going to back westward over the next week or so. This will allow a much colder Northerly airflow to become established toward the end of next week. Currently there is confusion as to just what the synoptic situation will be. But it's increasingly likely that a collapse of cold air from the North is imminent with a snow and frost risk which could well have Ireland on the hit list. Keep up to date here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

as much as i now enjoy the daily posts about the cold and snow ''possibly returning'' i have to disagree with DM on this, this is highly unlikely to happen, weather.com's 10 day forecast say it will be dry and sunny with only a 20% chance of precipitation, met eireann and even the great MT gives a similar forecast. while it will be slightly cold at times, its time to just enjoy the spring like weather we look like getting and forget the cold and snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Have to say, the last 8 weeks weather has surely been the most boring and uninteresting I have ever witnessed at this time of year. No snow ( here) one day with a gale, no thunderstorms , no major rain event, nothing. Bland. And all this after an incredible December / late Nov. So, personally, I'd like to see a bit of warmth, and some hints of real spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Most of the charts are giving up on the idea of a cold return. Favouring a high pressure over UK and Irl.

Wouldn't like the snow and cold to come back now anyways. Any snow will melt away in the sun.

Bring on spring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not a chance, ain't gonna happen, pie in the sky, la la land. etc ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I think it's time for you to go back into invernation darkman, see you again in say November?!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Get lost snow. I've grass to be growing for my sheep!

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

darkman2 wrote: »
    Hi all,

High pressure is going to back westward over the next week or so. This will allow a much colder Northerly airflow to become established toward the end of next week. Currently there is confusion as to just what the synoptic situation will be. But it's increasingly likely that a collapse of cold air from the North is imminent with a snow and frost risk which could well have Ireland on the hit list. Keep up to date here.

The words "flogging" and "dead horse" come to mind. Darkman2, I think you and the rest of us will have to put any hopes of snow to the back of our minds until January / February 2012 (I certainly would not expect snow this November and December 2011 as snow usually does not occur in those months in Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

derekon wrote: »
    The words "flogging" and "dead horse" come to mind. Darkman2, I think you and the rest of us will have to put any hopes of snow to the back of our minds until January / February 2012 (I certainly would not expect snow this November and December 2011 as snow usually does not occur in those months in Ireland)

Derekon, if the cfs charts are right it will be unusually cold next October.
    While you may scoff at specualting about what the weather will be like in six months, it needs to be said the cfs charts were by and large correct about how this winter panned out.

As regards whether we'll get any more snow, perhaps not, but we can get snow well into April in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Derekon you didnt expect snow in novemeber and decemeber last year and look what happened :pac:
    Very presumptuous to say that snow should be at the back of our minds till Jan 2012 especially after the two winters we just encountered. As Nacho said snow is possible in many months of the year here.

As for the 'very cold weather may return' , I doubt it. Maybe cold but cant see it being anything like December. Met Uk have it as cold and returning to normal fairly soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

too right- noone expected any snow this early, if we got snow this yr whats to say we wont next yr. oh nd last winter 2009/2010 we weer basically cheated out of snow- it was definitely cold enough it was -5 at about 11 oclock on xmas day when i was going to mass but it was just too dry in ireland at the time when the cold came - no precipitation till that great snowfall on new years :D most of december was cold enough to snow so thats 2 yrs where we could nd did have early snow so im betting on snow in december again like in the 70s nd 80s when it snowed lots every yr.:D- i think.. well hope the climate of europe is going back to what it used to be- we are getting snow every year now for the past while nd think were gonna get lots of snow eevry year from now on- i think our winters are getting progressively worse nd who knows maybe in a few yrs time well have snow from nov to april :D:D:D:D:D:D:D...maybe even next yr :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

we can get snow well into April in this country.

Though spring snow is usually nothing to write home about about, 31st March/ 1st April 2010 certainly delivered in Northern Ireland

Here's some nice snowy scenes from April 2008 too!

Getting back to the present, although it looks like there's nothing but mild monotony by day and slight frosts at night ahead for the immediate future, as someone once said, you should never turn your back on snow!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Please god don't be looking for snow into april like last year again, I've firmly switched to summer mode now and can't wait for spring.. Sun bbq beach boobs beer.. :) Snow would be crap now anyway be gone in a day or so who wants that like?

Sun sun sun sun :cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Remember the snow in april 2008 well, good times.... until the sun came up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Bring on the snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Roll on the sunshine. Snow can feck off until the end of the year.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

lovely more snow !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

snow go away please. i need me some sunshine and warmth

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

gfs in fi is interesting this morning - whether it comes to pass or not who knows - but if it were to verify as per current run darkman might indeed have the last laugh!

Feckin' traitors!:mad: I hope ye who have suddenly turned your back on snow are taught a severe lesson next year when we have an el nino winter:D

Ooh wet and mild next winter? excellent!

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »

sorry mike65, think winter 2009/10 instead. Doesn't the thought of it just warm your heart:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

a wet windy proper irish winter will do me fine.

looks like another ''possible'' and ''potentially'' warm sunny day ahead, think i'll cut the grass :D

Feckin' traitors!:mad: I hope ye who have suddenly turned your back on snow are taught a severe lesson next year when we have an el nino winter:D
    sorry mike65, think winter 2009/10 instead. Doesn't the thought of it just warm your heart:p

That was a La Nina winter not El Nino.

That was a La Nina winter not El Nino.

I don't think so mike65.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_of_2009%E2%80%932010_in_Europe#Causes

TUESDAY 11 P.M.
    THE WINTER OUTLOOK FOR EUROPE 2010/11

This year's August heat wave, like 2003, coming off an El Nino winter the year before, was over Russia and into central Europe. October has been cold in much of this area, and guess what, the winter will be most fierce from Euro-Russia into the Alps. Russian temps as much as 3C below normal for the winter are possible, 1-2 C below normal westward into the Alps. THIS INCLUDES THE BALKANS INTO NORTHWESTERN TURKEY, SORRY TO MY FAN CLUB THERE (I love all of you!!) But I should have been better in my description. I like above-normal snow in much of this area. Most of northwestern Europe will be near to a little below normal (up to 1C below normal) while northern and central Scandinavia, Scotland and Ireland are near or a bit above normal.

All I know is that we are in a La Nina phase and we've had cold pretty dry winters. That said negative or postive NAO seems to be more important here (then again is one connected to the other?).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

looks like another ''possible'' and ''potentially'' warm sunny day ahead, think i'll cut the grass :D

First day of spring,sun is shining,what's not to love!:D

And my grass is shooting up and badly needs to be cut too!:)

I'll I know is that we are in a La Nina phase and we've had cold pretty dry winters. That said negative or postive NAO seems to be more important here (then again is one connected to the other?).

Yes. I don't think you can put the unusually cold period of Winter 2009/10 down to el nino, because normally an el nino winter causes milder and wet winters in Ireland. Also with the 2010/11 Winter being a strong la nina we shouldn't have had the record breaking December.
    I think a consensus is building that the colder periods in Ireland and Britain are due to low solar output, which is somehow effecting the nao.

lord lucan wrote: »
    First day of spring,sun is shining,what's not to love!:D

And my grass is shooting up and badly needs to be cut too!:)

yip real t-shirt weather out today :D, the snow and frost is a distant memory now

• Advertisement

yip real t-shirt weather out today :D, the snow and frost is a distant memory now

T-shirt weather?? are ye mad LOL.

Bloody freezing, might as well have snow.

Could of hung a wet duffle coat off you know what , was so cold today.
    ;);):p

Advertisement