Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jupiter & Saturn photos

Options
  • 27-02-2011 3:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Here's my latest efforts taking pictures of the planets with my Celestron NexStar 4SE and NexImage CCD sensor. I managed to get Jupiter before it dropped below my local horizon, and then later in the evening I got to see Saturn for the first time :) It was amazing seeing it in the scope, it was like someone had just placed a symbol for Saturn in the sky :D

I'm still getting used to the optimal settings for capturing the AVI with the CCD - and my key challenge is getting the focus right. I think I saw something about a mask you can put over the end of the tube that helps you focus?

I am still having problems with the SkyAlign feature of the telescope. I'm aligning to three stars as carefully as I can (typically I use Aldebaran, Betelguese, and Rigel), but when I set the scope to slew to objects it is off - by maybe 3/4 the width of a full moon. Not sure exactly what's going on, I'm pretty sure the base is level, etc., the time and location are accurate... Any suggestions what I could look out for?

Anyway, here's the photos :)

Jupiter:
    5480681024_e58da7c308_o.jpg

Saturn:
    5480079615_83b6591ee7_o.jpg

5480079561_0866a1650d_o.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I hope tonight is clear. Haven't seen Saturn in months:(

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭dublin_daveyboy

Very nice pics,i was out last night viewing saturn myself using an 8inch scope with a 6mm eyepiece on a x2 barlow amazing views.i might get a neximage camera myself when i can get the funds,id love to take some pics,is it easy to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

The NexImage sensor is easy enough to use - just plug it in and use the AmCap software to capture the AVI.

The trick is being able to use it well :D

Like any form of photographic equipment you have to learn how to use it best, so things like getting the exposure right, how that depends on framerate and gain, etc., all contribute to getting better images. I'm still learning myself too of course :) I find though that slower frame rates and lower gain settings seem to produce better images.

My biggest challenge is getting good focus though :)

Of course, the "magic" happens then with the stacking software, and I'm amazed at what RegiStax does to my blurry AVIs :) Again, I've only started to scratch the surface of what that can do, but the way the wavelet processing sharpens the image and brings out hidden detail is amazing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

Hey,
    nice pics. Just got Neximage for my 4SE in the post yesterday (100 euro cheaper imported from america!). Hope to get imaging soon. Must get the lense and filter set too, get some good contrast on the bands.Sky align is tricky. I had to input coordinates direct from my cars gps. It locked on perfectly after that

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

I tried putting in my GPS coordinates from GPS Status app on my Nexus One phone, before that I was using Dublin from the cities list. Must try it out again tonight, see if there's something obvious I'm missing :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement