Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon frame damage

Options
  • 26-02-2011 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi all,

Somehow as i was taking off my my headset (which finally gave up after being rattled on a daily basis on Irish winter roads) this massive chip appeared.
    http://instagr.am/p/B3alR/
    I'm wondering what to do. It's far too big to ignore and as you can see, exposes the lower layers of the carbon frame to the elements. Any suggestions on how I can go about repairing it?
    I have the chip in its entirety and it seems to fit snuggly if glueing it back is an option?

I see now why people have a winter bike, the frame is really showing signs of wear following this winter :( Any help much appreciated..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭markdrayton

I'd try gluing it. I've no idea what sort of glue to use.

Is there a metal ring at the top of the head tube? It looks like the top layer has come off, which hopefully isn't structural in any way. If it was I'd have thought it'd be pretty hard to break a bit off in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭polariz

I'd try gluing it. I've no idea what sort of glue to use.

Is there a metal ring at the top of the head tube? It looks like the top layer has come off, which hopefully isn't structural in any way. If it was I'd have thought it'd be pretty hard to break a bit off in the first place.

Yep there is a metal ring there. I guess it is just the top paint layer but it exposes the lower layer to rain, etc, so I think it needs to be sealed up. Maybe a combination of (super) gluing it and clear coat paint?

A bit of searching has thrown up this carbon repair kit. Reviews on other sites are good. I may not need it but someone else may find it useful..

http://www.carbonology.com/kit-no-1-the-starter-pack-size-a-p-237.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I think it's unfortunately badly compromised.
    I personally wouldn't use it again.
    If you want to the usual test is to ride if. If it collapses suddenly and catastrophically then it is badly damaged. If it doesn't then keep riding it and see if it does the next time.

Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Expoy Resin is the best glue to use with Carbon fibre. You need to be careful to mix it correctly. I would be concerned as to why the Carbon chipped in the manner seen in the picture. Normally I'd expect to see fibres/fibre layers where it's delamintated. I'd take Robs advice onboard.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's really hard to tell the extent of damage from photos. To me that looks like paint that's been chipped. But I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭vertigo1976

That just looks like a piece of the clear coat has just chipped off. It doesn't look like there is any structural problem there. The clear coat is quite brittle and more susceptible to cracks or chips. The actual structure is fine but it just needs protecting from the elements. Glue the piece back in with epoxy. If the frame is still under warranty it could be worth bringing it back to the dealer, but the issue is just cosmetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭C3PO

That just looks like a piece of the clear coat has just chipped off. It doesn't look like there is any structural problem there. The clear coat is quite brittle and more susceptible to cracks or chips. The actual structure is fine but it just needs protecting from the elements. Glue the piece back in with epoxy. If the frame is still under warranty it could be worth bringing it back to the dealer, but the issue is just cosmetic.

I agree .... if you're like me (ie a bit anal!) you could buy tinted gelcoat from a yachting shop to repair it neatly!!

Yeah I think you're right. It is just paint/clearcoat. I'll have a go at glueing the piece back on and see how it goes. I'll look into that gelcoat stuff too because I am that fussy :) It's a couple of years old so I suppose I've done well that this is the first major lump gone out of it considering I commute on it..

Thank you all for your feedback anyway..

Advertisement