Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South African Medal Info.

Options
  • 26-02-2011 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

i have a few medals to SA regiments and have scant information on them and i was wondering if anybody can point me in the right direction in regard to getting medal index cards , service records etc. have already tried ancestryuk. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Hi RDF,as far as I can remember the records for soldiers are held by the South African Defence Force within there archives,I could be wrong though it's a while since I came across that info.I believe that the records have to be applied for and can't be obtained freely over the Internet but I stand to be corrected until I check on it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

arnhem44 wrote: »
    Hi RDF,as far as I can remember the records for soldiers are held by the South African Defence Force within there archives,I could be wrong though it's a while since I came across that info.I believe that the records have to be applied for and can't be obtained freely over the Internet but I stand to be corrected until I check on it again.

if you can find that link that would be a start.i have tried on and off for a while to find info but so far have come up with nothing. i do expect to pay some sort of a fee for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

http://www.dod.mil.za/contactus/contactus.htm

email a few of them and inquire about it

Hi again RDF.As far as I'm aware there is no direct link to the records and the records are held by the South African Defence Force which you have to apply for and from what I've been able to find it suggests that it can take up to a month to get a response and up to four months before getting any details sent forward.As for the medal cards,the National Archives have medal cards to South African units however it may be to British service men and women who served within these units.I've searched for medal cards before myself for South African soldiers and have come up with nothing also so South Africa may be like Canada and so on in that the South African authorities hold these cards themselves.I did read somewhere before that British East African units cards are held by the N.A. as are 20,000 Indian service personnel's cards.South African military details seem a lot more complex to research than the other countries who were involved during the Great War.Below is the address to where you need to apply for the documents.

Ina Building
    Church Street
    Pretoria

Telephone: + 27 12 322-6350/9
    Facsimile: + 27 12 339-4631
    Enquiries: Ms T Schneider (Extension 211)
    eMail: sandfdoc@mweb.co.za

Further to this I have since found out that medal cards for South African's are indeed kept by SANDF and have to be applied for like there records.

• Advertisement
Advertisement