Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double Glazing 'vent cover' - Possible to replace?

Options
  • 26-02-2011 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭

South facing double glazing. I brushed against one of the small aeration vent covers this morning.. and it crumbled, more or less.

The vent hole is 3cm across. Please see the photos below.

I'd like to know:

What is the proper name for the part?

Can I find replacements easily?

Remaining intact part.

dgcap3cm.jpg

Hole left by crumbled part.

dgnocap3cm.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Oh the innocence.....:)

Yes they are easy to replace.... They are available freely

Or else do what i do......<SNIP SNIP SNIP :)>

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Heh.. well, come on, there are parts of a house an innocent commoner like myself never expects to interact with. :D

Some white Duct tape is over the open one at the moment. The reason I asked about the part name was to make a Google search easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Amalgam wrote: »
    Heh.. well, come on, there are parts of a house an innocent commoner like myself never expects to interact with. :D

Some white Duct tape is over the open one at the moment. The reason I asked about the part name was to make a Google search easier.

I dont know the name exactly. I call them vent covers. Have you a glazing company in your area....Or perhaps a ghost estate....

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

Drainage caps. Weep hole covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Perfect CBYR1983, double glazing 'Drain(age) Caps' returned a satisfying Google search, just ordered a pack, very cheap and plentiful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

Good stuff. I had a door put in and they weren't supplied, guys avoided my calls but manufacturer then sorted me out. Got a few extras and used them same as you - on older Windows. They seem to break down and go brittle. I broke 2 just with a sponge when washing Windows, easily done.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

just the very item I need, google search brought up this thread. Sorry for resurrecting it :P
    I was out washing the livingroom window earlier when the Pvc drainage cap completely crumbled like op's, :\ i'm thinking the cold winter is to blame. just wondering would places like B&Q stock these?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

window drainage will function perfectly well without drainage caps....
    Though if you do want them replaced you'll probably need to go to the original manufacturer, or to another that uses the same profile to get them, as there are many different types.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

alproctor wrote: »
    window drainage will function perfectly well without drainage caps....
    Though if you do want them replaced you'll probably need to go to the original manufacturer, or to another that uses the same profile to get them, as there are many different types.

Thanks for reply, ah it would look better replaced.
    I need the white rectagular shaped ones which are 3cm across like op's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

you need to go to the manufacturer,
    or you could get others and adapt and glue them on. Ensure the hole remains clear

• Advertisement
Advertisement