Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteorological Reaserch Flight- SouthEast

Options
  • 26-02-2011 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭

Has anyone in the Wexford/Carlo/Kilkenny area seen a 4 engine BAE jet flying low? Its a meteorological research flight, I have no idea what they are measuring.

The aircraft is operating around 4000-5000ft i think. So if you see a four engine high-wing airliner flying low, dont panic! I have not seen it myself but I have heard it talking to ATC, also on prob flight tracker websites.

Anybody have any ideas what data it could be collecting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

The aircraft just flew straight over here from the Wexford town area, very slow and at about 7/8000ft.

It's flying from CB to CB, must be taking data from inside. Heres hoping they get some data that will help improve convection forecats:)

Didnt notice anything. Would it possibly show up on http://www.radarvirtuel.com/ ?

Should do, i was picking it up with my own Mode-S receiver, although it seems it's gone home now.

He was doing passes through the CB's at various altitudes, interesting stuff. It's call sign is METMAN if anyone is listening to ATC.

A quick google of it's callsign and and reg brings this up: http://www.faam.ac.uk/index.php/home

If you go to the flying programme, you will see today it was researching cumulus development.

Pre sortie breif:
    Desired weather
    A range of cloud temperatures (ice and mixed-phase/liquid) clouds, and some areas of clear air

The planned location says exeter but I presume they had no cumulus development today. Do I get a medal for detective work?

Advertisement