Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Careful now - "Unexploded" WWII shell found in garage in Wexford

Options
  • 26-02-2011 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭

An inert WWII shell had been found in Wexford and the bomb disposale team had been called in. So, be careful what you leave lying around, your collectables (if it turns out to be just that) could trigger an emergency response ;)

Link: http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0225/wexford.html
    RT&#201 wrote:
    Unexploded shell found in Wexford town

Updated: 17:37, Friday, 25 February 2011

An area in Wexford town known as The Faythe was sealed off this afternoon following the discovery of an unexploded shell.

1 of 1 Wexford - Army bomb disposal unit on the way to the scene An area in Wexford town known as The Faythe was sealed off this afternoon following the discovery of an unexploded shell.

The shell, which is around 30cm long and 8cm in diameter, is believed to be at least 40 years old.

The unexploded shell was found during a clean up of a garage behind a house.

The garage is around 250m from the local polling station.

Gardaí say nobody was prevented from voting.

The Bomb Disposal Team had found an inert (no explosive content) WWII era shell.

A few houses were evacuated pending the arrival of the bomb disposal unit. The area was declared safe an hour later.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

Ah sure, no need to be worried, it's only SF election campaign leftover :D

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

Was it really a genuine WW2 era shell? Someone must have brought it home during the emergency :eek:

I am surprised the amount of still active shells that still turn up every year during construction. Last year there were three bomb disposal experts killed in Germany when defusing a US aircraft bomb.

And recently I read of a Dutch guy that had his hands blown off while trying to defuse a WW2 grenade found while metal detecting. I would have thought that 70 years in moist soil would have rendered them inactive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

I think i heard it was inactive on the radio friday.
    so somone left it in the back of the shed and forgot about it, and somone else found it and rang the gardai.

the bomb disposal team was called to my town when somone spotted a can of WD40 under a car. :p

in regards to unexploded shells still turning up, if i remember correctly off a show i seen last year. in the uk 90% of bomb disposal call outs are to ww2 era unexploded bombs or sea mines which are found while digging or wash up on the beaches around britian.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

That reminds me - I remember watching the BBC series Trawlermen a couple of years ago and when they reeled in their nets there was a mine in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I was working in Cork City a few years back, and an old building they were renovating 6 doors down had a few dozen home made grenades under the floorboards dating back to the early part of the 20th century. They evacuated loads of houses, businesses and apartments just in case.

• Advertisement
Advertisement