Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slingbox & the iphone 4?

Options
  • 26-02-2011 3:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

Anyone using the slingbox with the iphone 4?
    Care to give it a bit of a review of some sort?
    Is it really as good as it seems?
    Also anyone using it with UPC?
    Seems you can set your dvr over the iphone 4?sounds pretty cool.

I dont want to shell out a couple of hundered for the box and then €24.99 for the app if it doesnt run as smoothly as you'd hope.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭kuro2k

barryd09 wrote: »
    Anyone using the slingbox with the iphone 4?
    Care to give it a bit of a review of some sort?
    Is it really as good as it seems?
    Also anyone using it with UPC?
    Seems you can set your dvr over the iphone 4?sounds pretty cool.

I dont want to shell out a couple of hundered for the box and then €24.99 for the app if it doesnt run as smoothly as you'd hope.

yea I'm using sling box but with iphone 3gs. I have UPC 30mb and to be honest I cant complain.......... I've watched a lot of sport online, its nowhere close to HD but if you're in work and live games are in the s hemisphere etc its better than nothing............ i've used it all over europe and US....... yea i would definitely recommend it!!

The way things are these day who knows if its worth it .................... if its worth anything I think it is !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Only have 8mb bb from upc myself,will that be a problem do you think?
    Also,what slingbox did you buy?The pro is it?
    Is it really as described?full selection of channels and ability to browse as if you were sitting at home with the remote?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I am using it on a iPhone 3G. I have smart broadband the upload speed is .5 Mb and I have 3 as a phone service providers.

Works fine and I have used it on WiFi abroad.

If you have the hardware I would get the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

Slingbox is fantastic.
    The quality is only as good as your upload and I think you'd need at least a 1mb upload for it to be watchable good quality, but because the iphone screen is small it still looks really good on it.
    Yes you can control most devices from your iphone. I control my skybox from one of the inputs and have cctv cameras on the other. The only device i couldnt get going was my apple tv.
    If you have an ipad only buy the iphone app so you can use it on both iphone and ipad. if you buy it the ipad app you can't use it on the iphone.

Cheers for the replies,upload speed is probably .5mb aswell.
    Is there a particular slingbox to buy?theres a few isnt there?
    How much can one be got for?

• Advertisement

Slingbox pro will do the trick. No need for hd unless you want tostream to a hd desktop on your home network. Harvey Norman do them for 280 I think. Might have to be ordered in.

Cool,currys in galway had them in stock about 2 weeks ago but i was in a rush so i didnt check the price of them or if it was pro or hd.
    Will take a trip in this week & see.
    Wont be needing to stream hd,sure id need hd for that!!lol

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭V4

Hi barryd09

I have a Slingbox solo if your interested.
    I had used it on my iPhone and it worked great.
    I used to use it but cutbacks mean I'm on freesat now so I never
    use it. I'll pop in on adverts.ie if your not interested.

Regards
    V4

cheers for the offer,im still just toying with the idea though.unfortunatley theres more important things for me to get for the house before i spend money on streaming tv out of it!
    as a matter of interest how much are you selling it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭V4

barryd09 wrote: »
    cheers for the offer,im still just toying with the idea though.unfortunatley theres more important things for me to get for the house before i spend money on streaming tv out of it!
    as a matter of interest how much are you selling it for?

Hi

I could do it for €100 if your interested.

Regards
    V4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I'll row in with that too.

Have an ipod touch and it works 100% with the slingbox pro.

The main pain is that I am getting max 200kbps on the upload side so not great picture for fast moving events like sport, but thats cos of ****e broadband down the country rather than anything on slingbox/ apple os side.

NOTE: the slingbox pro does have an internal digital tuner but doesnt do irish digital terrestrial (mpeg4), only uk (mpeg2) ! Still, if you intend plugging into a sky box/ upc box/ analogue cable feed then thats not a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭eorpach

I recently got a Slingbox Solo. Its works fantastically well with my iPad. And now that 3 customers get 'all you can eat data', I can set up my Phone as a hotspot and watch High resolution telly from my Sk box on my iPad anywhere, without worrying about the data charges (I'm on UPC at home so data is also unlimited).

Very happy.

Note though that only the Solo and Pro-HD models of the Slingbox work with an iPad: http://www.slingbox.com/go/ipad

eorpach wrote: »
    <snip>Note though that only the Solo and Pro-HD models of the Slingbox work with an iPad: http://www.slingbox.com/go/ipad
    well, not exactly true.
    The iphone app still works on the ipad, and it works with the older models (I can verfiy!).

How good or crap it is I cant verify though, as my folks have useless broadband upload speeds down the country.

eorpach, you have UPC. How good or bad is the analogue signal from them?
    My sister has offered to "host" the slingbox and I really dont need the tenner a month extra for the UPC multiroom package. I'd be happy enough with a decent analogue feed of the normal dozen channels.

well, not exactly true.
    The iphone app still works on the ipad, and it works with the older models (I can verfiy!).

How good or crap it is I cant verify though, as my folks have useless broadband upload speeds down the country.

eorpach, you have UPC. How good or bad is the analogue signal from them?
    My sister has offered to "host" the slingbox and I really dont need the tenner a month extra for the UPC multiroom package. I'd be happy enough with a decent analogue feed of the normal dozen channels.

if she hosts it for you you'll have to watch whatever she's watching or run the risk of getting an ear bashing turning off desperate housewives for the footy. Well it happens to me when im out and change the chanell while the wife is watching the box!

When you mean analogue signal do you mean from the cable (not the box) as this is being switched off nationwide at the end of 2011 i think.

When you mean analogue signal do you mean from the cable (not the box) as this is being switched off nationwide at the end of 2011 i think.
    indeed, i meant bog standard regular analogue. Maybe its not the smarted to rely on it in the medium term then so.

The multiroom is cheaper than I previously had thought though.
    fiver a month for digibox decoder, 8.75 for upc+ and tenner a month for hd+
    http://www.upc.ie/television/mrv/

slightly off topic seeing as this is the apple devices page, but what is the picture like on a laptop or bigger screen than the ipad, when using upc as the source? (presuming adequate download speeds at the receiving end)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

eorpach wrote: »
    3 customers get 'all you can eat data' [...]UPC at home so data is also unlimited

You'll probably be fine, as most light users of Slingbox should be, but just be aware that neither are unlimited, and both have caps in place with the provision for further charges, speed limiting, or disconnection. I.e. don't believe the marketing & always read the small print.

heres a screenshot of my slingbox. I have an pretty constant 2meg upload and was streaming over 3G

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭WannaGetFit

just wondering, is there an alternative to slingbox? another brand?

Advertisement