Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference Of Old & New MBP Range

Options
  • 26-02-2011 1:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi this is my first time going with mac and im going to buy from the new Macbook Pro range but with the whole new 'quad core' ect its got my brains in a tangle :confused:

whats the difference between a lets say 2.53GHz i5 of the old model and a lower 2.0GHz quad core i7 of the new

what really is the difference for running programs with high CPU usage and muti tasking ect

would really appreciate the help
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭barryj

There's some benchmarks comparing older and newer models here:

Primate Labs Benchmarks

The benchmarks indicate how CPU intensive processes might compare between the various machines, but such benchmarks aren't necessarily real world, so take them with a grain of salt - disk and other factors will have a bearing on actual performance. Regardless of whether or not a given application makes full use of multiple cores, the OS will take advantage of them, and in the real world four is definitely better than two. Also, many high-cpu requirement apps will be written to take full advantage of extra cores.

That said - the new machines look like they will well outperform the outgoing models in most areas, so should be a good investment likely to last you a good few years.

Enjoy your new Mac.

- barry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Numb.Muzik

barryj wrote: »
    There's some benchmarks comparing older and newer models here:

Primate Labs Benchmarks

The benchmarks indicate how CPU intensive processes might compare between the various machines, but such benchmarks aren't necessarily real world, so take them with a grain of salt - disk and other factors will have a bearing on actual performance. Regardless of whether or not a given application makes full use of multiple cores, the OS will take advantage of them, and in the real world four is definitely better than two. Also, many high-cpu requirement apps will be written to take full advantage of extra cores.

That said - the new machines look like they will well outperform the outgoing models in most areas, so should be a good investment likely to last you a good few years.

Enjoy your new Mac.

- barry

thanks barry :)

Advertisement