Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Musical Places of Interest & Monuments in Dublin?

Options
  • 25-02-2011 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hi Guys!
    I am looking for some help here! I am currently doing a college assignment on 'Places of Musical Interest'- and music related monuments too in Dublin City!
    So I was wondering if any of you guys knew of any places (things like ' the Phil Lynott statue' & the 'Wall Of Fame' in temple bar!) that would help me??
    I have heard of there being a U2 wall down the quays too near the old 'Windmil Studios' but I was wondering if there were any or many more?
    As I think everyone can think of something but everyone also notices different things & knows about different things depending on their interests??
    So all suggestions are greatly welcomed & thanks for your help! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭teekayd25

A few years ago I heard of there being a "U2 Pub Crawl" that brought people around to pubs that were related to different events in the band's history (first gig, first meeting with Paul McGuinness, etc.). There doesn't seem to be much info about it now, but you could try the e-mail address mentioned in the thread below.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=251792

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sparkzter

teekayd25 wrote: »
    A few years ago I heard of there being a "U2 Pub Crawl" that brought people around to pubs that were related to different events in the band's history (first gig, first meeting with Paul McGuinness, etc.). There doesn't seem to be much info about it now, but you could try the e-mail address mentioned in the thread below.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=251792

hiya teekayd!
    Thanks a million for replying! I will defo email them & see if they have any info about it! As I was thinking that there would be a few suggestions here- but its been very quiet- as there's not much info on these places online- well if you know about a particular place- you can find out about it! But I am having trouble finding out about the various places! So thank you for your help! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭RayCon

Unfortunately a lot of the classic venue's Dublin once had are long gone ... they held some legendary gigs in their time ...

SFX
    McGonagles
    TV Club
    Top Hat

Hiya Raycon!
    Yeah I think I may have picked a difficult subject for this one as there doesn't seem to be a lot of information about on things like this? I might look up the history of some of the venues you mentioned though online hey? Someone else recommended the 'rock n roll stroll' to me that has those plaques all over the city but there is a lack of info about these too... :( Thanks a million for your reply though as its been very quiet here with suggestions! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

If you go to Abbey St and find Arnotts, the big car park entrance beside it used to be the Adelphi cinema..everyone played there..Beatles, Stones, Dylan, Aretha Franklin..tons more..but Ireland being Ireland, it's now a car park..

Go up to Whelans on wexford st, that's seen some incredible bands..and the Olympia on Dame st.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭teekayd25

Couldn't quite remember this name the other day, have seen / heard it mentioned a few times.

Dandelion Market

david75 wrote: »
    If you go to Abbey St and find Arnotts, the big car park entrance beside it used to be the Adelphi cinema..everyone played there..Beatles, Stones, Dylan, Aretha Franklin..tons more..but Ireland being Ireland, it's now a car park..

Go up to Whelans on wexford st, that's seen some incredible bands..and the Olympia on Dame st.

really??? did all those acts play there?? well thats one venue I definitely would not have thought of- so thank you for the suggestion!!
    I have found a lot of info on whelans & the olympia but never even came across the 'adelphi cinema' so going to look into that now- so thanks again! :) x

teekayd25 wrote: »
    Couldn't quite remember this name the other day, have seen / heard it mentioned a few times.

Dandelion Market

I just read that blog there & thats a great tale- especially with the U2 boys playing there in their early days- very interesting! Thank you so much, this is a place that I would never have found out about if you had not mentioned it! So thanks again! :) x

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

There's a pub somewhere along Baggot St. (I think) that had a thing outside saying it was where The Dubliners first performed together. Can't remember the name of it, or exactly where it was, but I used to pass it on the 10 bus if that's any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

There's a pub somewhere along Baggot St. (I think) that had a thing outside saying it was where The Dubliners first performed together. Can't remember the name of it, or exactly where it was, but I used to pass it on the 10 bus if that's any help.

O'Donohues Merrion Row

The Baggot Inn was a great gig venue in the 70s 80s - there is a pub called the Baggot Inn there now but its totally different.

The National Stadium on SCR was also a great venue - I remember seeing U2 getting the equivelant of a Meteor award there in 1985 ish. Not a very glitzy affair!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement