Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoky iMac screen

Options
  • 25-02-2011 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

I have an iMac which is about 16 months old (no AppleCare. Yes, I'm a fool.) which has developed an odd sort of smoky/shadowy effect on the screen. It's not on the glass. Does anybody know my chances of getting this repaired, since it seems to almost certainly be a manufacturing defect? Hell, does anybody even know what it is?

5476625963_d28ab4fbc5.jpg
    Untitled by Cian Mac Mahon, on Flickr

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

How long has it been there? Does it change?

It could just be condensation between the glass and the LCD, a very common problem and easily fixed by taking the glass off and giving it a wipe. You aren't technically allowed to do this without voiding the warranty, but it is very easy to do without Apple knowing.

Alternatively it could be dust/dirt on the backlight (sucked in through the fans), in which case it will have to go back. I have a 24-inch ACD that has developed this problem. I still haven't contacted Apple about it but intend to do so soon. It looks very similar to yours.

EDIT: sorry, just noticed that you said it's out of warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Funnily enough I had this same problem with a customers iMac C2D 3.06GHz Yesterday !! There were odd looking smokey streaks on the screen that couldn't be cleaned by wiping the front.

The aluminium iMacs front glass screen is held in place magnetically. Luckily the customer had a punch-pag toy with suction cups for holding it onto a smooth surface which was perfect for sticking to the front glass of the iMac and removing it ! If you have one of those suction type towel holders in your house - like this one - it will suffice.

After that the glass cleaner of choice will clean the glass, however when cleaning the LCD - DO NOT SPRAY DIRECTLY ONTO THE SCREEN !! Get a soft cloth and spray a small amount of non acetone cleaner onto it and wipe clean while the computer is off. Refit the glass and you're good to go !!

Ken

Advertisement