Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook problem

Options
  • 25-02-2011 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My macbook is 4 years old and i have never had a problem with it, however yesterday and today it has just switched off 6 times.... Has this ever happened to anyone before?

Also when i am using google chrome sometimes when im watching a video online or playing a online game on sites like miniclip and so forth it starts skipping like a scratched cd....

All help is much appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Need more info. When you say it just switches off, what do you mean? Screen just goes black? Is there an error message? Does it automatically restart?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

no it just switches off completly!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Is it (as I thought somebody else asked) connected to the mains when this happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 555

Sorry, yeah that was me (deleted post by mistake).

I had an old MBP (same model as yours) that used to switch off suddenly. Turned out to be the battery - it didn't hold a charge once disconnected from the mains.

ct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

sounds like you need to do a software update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Is the fan kicking in, by the sounds its crashing during intensive CPU tasks (flash/video) which would heat things up and power you off if the fan is not running or very blocked.

Software update and flash update first and reset (hold power button till off .. hold again to switch on till you hear a beep and the power light starts flashing).

yeah whats happening now is that its behaving the windows does before flash is installed, very jumpy and the videos are skipping and stuff and when it gets really bad the fan doesnt kick in and it shuts off...... java is up to date

is it fixable or time to start saving?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭muggyog

As was.deevey said, your fan may be blocked/ jammed with dirt/ broken hence it is not coming on. Once the MacBook gets to a certain temperature it will go into thermal protection mode and switch itself off. Install something like Temperature Monitor or CoreDuoTemp and see what is happening.

well thats the fan cleaned out, just gotta wait and see now. Some great videos on disassembling any mac laptop on youtube!

Back in business! :D

Thanks a million folks! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement