Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Visa and working on an ABN

Options
  • 25-02-2011 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

Im living in Melbourne at the moment and coming to the end of my 2nd WHV and have applied for a student visa.Ive been working in construction and have done a few jobs on ABN over the last 2 years.I cant afford to just work 20hours a week so will be working full time hours on my abn and say im charging a higher rate per hour for 20hours.Just wondering if anyone knows how risky is this?does anyone know of others who've done this and been caught? How can you get caught? also when you get a student visa, can the dept check your ABN details,etc..?

I would really appreciate any info or experiences that others have had doing this befor i fork out the money for the visa. I want to apply for residency eventually or maybe get sponsership but will doing this effect my chances in the future?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

If you are going do something illegal or bodgy to do with visa's and are thinking of going the PR or Sponsorship route in the future then it's not worth going down that road. You are safer biting the bullet and going home and applying for your PR or Sponsorship there, otherwise you would be safer getting a job flipping burgers in Maccers for 20 hours per week it may be crap pay but at least when they check your employment history on paper it looks 100% legit instead of bodged up invoices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Mandrake is right.

MOD Joey I am not going to infract you for breach of charter in relation to discussing breaching your VISA conditions along with asking others to do the same. This is due to it being your first post. I will however have to lock this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement