Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultegra Rear Calliper Question

Options
  • 25-02-2011 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

I recently purchased a 2nd hand road bike and I am in the process of deep cleaning and re condtioning it (first timer, new experience in order to know my way around the bike etc).

I have taken the rear Ultegra Calliper off and after a deep degreasing the sping or recoil of the unit is stil not great. The unit is approx 5-6 years old and the previous owner would have given it heavy use.

Question: can the coil / spring be replaced - and if so any suggestions.

Thanks

Potsy

PS..i am sure there will be plenty of questions from me when I get to the deraileurs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jiffybag

This is an all too common problem with older Ultegra calipers . No easy repair . Parts not really available for this caliper anymore. Probably best to replace it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

Put them in diesel oil and try to loosen them up.
    If there is no free play in the pivots they are probably OK and just clogged with dried up muck. Check that the end of the return spring slides freely in the grove on one of the arms and put a little grease on it.

A diagram to help you with dismantling and assembly.

http://www.shimanoservicecentre.co.uk/SSC/shimano_parts/Brakes/BR-6500.PDF

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

Put them in diesel oil and try to loosen them up.
    If there is no free play in the pivots they are probably OK and just clogged with dried up muck. Check that the end of the return spring slides freely in the grove on one of the arms and put a little grease on it.

A diagram to help you with dismantling and assembly.

http://www.shimanoservicecentre.co.uk/SSC/shimano_parts/Brakes/BR-6500.PDF

I'll give this a go tonight. By Diesel Oil do you mean the engine oil that you buy in the Service Station?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

potsy11 wrote: »
    I'll give this a go tonight. By Diesel Oil do you mean the engine oil that you buy in the Service Station?

Cheers

Its the diesel fuel you buy at the pump not the bottled oil.
    There may be a minimum 5 Euro (approx 3.5 L at todays prices) purchase though, but it is always handy to have some spare for cleaning chains etc.

Advertisement