Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stray dog help.

Options
  • 25-02-2011 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

My family and I are looking after a dog that followed my daughter home. Not sure of breed (new to this dog thing) but the poor thing is severely malnourished - bones sticking out everywhere. He had no collar but seems very timid. He let me place a collar on him today no problems.

I rang the vet who said to de-worm and apply flea medication that we have. Also gave him a bath with flea shampoo.

The dog at the moment is in the shed with a duvet and blankets. As my other half doesn't want it in the house until we know by the vet that he's disease free.

Now the thing I'm curious about is this, I've been feeding the dog Bakers tinned dog food and over the space of a day the dog has nearly ate a tin. Little bits here and there. Is this good for the dog? And are there any other info I should know about to help the little lad out ?

Thanks in advance for any info or suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

First of all well done for taking the poor thing in. It sounds like hes been straying for awhile if as you said he looks severely malnourished. What size is he? A hungry dog will literally wolf down a tin or more of dogfood.This isnt necessarily a good thing. A starving animal should be fed little and often,their stomach is too small to handle large amounts of food.

But, listen dont worry about that for now. Take picture of him and post on:
    here

here

here

The Evening Herald has a free lost and found section and ring your local pounds and vets to leave details. Failing any contact, feed little and often and if you can afford it bring him to your vet to get checked out. If you can avoid it dont leave him in a pound. Theyre full to the brim and a "surrender" dog doesnt have a great chance of surviving a week.The sad fact of reality is 6000 unwanted dogs got put to sleep last year alone for not having someone to care for them.But, if its the only thing you can do then thats ok too. You've tried your best. Post some pics here if ya can or in the Lost and Found section

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭cauliflower69

I will do that thanks. The dog is the size of a Jack Russell. Lovely little thing. I tried bringing him on a lead earlier and he refuses to leave my back yard in fear I might lot let him back in I fear.

Will post a pic 2morro thanks alot

Good stuff. Dont feed him anymore tonight or until tomorrow lunchtime at least. A tin is more than enough tbh for a dog of that size.He'll have a full belly now so he needs to digest that first. Dont worry about the brand at this stage.A half tin at lunch then the other half in the eve if you still have him. Hes not yours and you're doing the best you can. A bed and fresh water is all he needs until tomorrow wink.gif

I will do my best to find the owner but to be honest wouldn't mind keeping him, strange as I've never really liked dogs much.

If I feed him like this for a while do you think he could back on the pounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭jassha

Well done and fair play for looking after this dog. Maybe i missed it but what part of the country are u in. Have dogs and adore them and would never like to see one neglected. again well well done

• Advertisement

In East Galway. Have contacted the vets and also will contact the gardai etc 2morro. He seems very happy now.

wouldn't mind keeping him, strange as I've never really liked dogs much.
    Ah they grow on ya, the little feckers :D
    wrote:
    If I feed him like this for a while do you think he could back on the pounds?
    Im presuming you mean "pack" on the pounds. It will take time and over- feeding straight away will have the opposite effect i.e colicy pains,diarrhoea or constipation. If hes malnourished his little body and stomach is used to going without a lot for a long time.His stomach will be small so eating too much too soon/quickly isnt good. You can only process a certain amount of food per day and it will take a bit of time to fill him out. Small feeds is the way to go. Think about a "decent" quality food (not necessarily expensive) if you decide to keep him.

If you keep him (hopefully when vet checked for any underlying problems etc) then its little and often until his stomach can handle a big feed.

Sure cross that bridge when you come to it ;)

I definitely wont over feed him but was reading about rice and chicken / rice and hamburger meat / puppy food for malnourished dogs.

Whats the diff between dry food and canned food. ?

Is baker not a "quality feed" - sorry new to all this - its main ingredient was meat so I choose that over the cheaper filler cans. (or so I read anyways)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

In East Galway. Have contacted the vets and also will contact the gardai etc 2morro. He seems very happy now.

Hi OP, well done on taking the dog, I am in East Galway as well so if you need anything just let me know.
    I definitely wont over feed him but was reading about rice and chicken / rice and hamburger meat / puppy food for malnourished dogs.

Chicken and rice is good for dogs with dodgy stomachs, I recently had a rescue dog here for a few days and I gave her chicken and rice for a few days then gradually mixed in dry food so it wouldnt upset her stomach.
    Is baker not a "quality feed" - sorry new to all this - its main ingredient was meat so I choose that over the cheaper filler cans. (or so I read anyways)

It wouldnt be the best but as long as he is getting small amount often its no harm to him. If you like I can give you some dry Burns food to keep you going for a week or two until you sort out what you are going to do. Just PM me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Cauliflower I just wanted to say well done for keeping him. I come from a family that took in every stray that wandered in, or at least so it seemed to my mum, and I can tell you we have had some of the best dogs from doing so. Sometimes when they wander into you it's because they were meant for you. :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement