Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does HKC alarm arm with open zone?

Options
  • 24-02-2011 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi

I've recently had my HKC alarm installed by my relation. We're testing it at the moment? Why is it that the alarm will arm with an open zone on a contact, i.e. back door is open and the alarm arms. However if I stand in front of a PIR, the arming is prohibited and open zone appears on the RKP. Can anyone please help me as this is driving me mad trying to figure out what might be wrong?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Taking it there is a contact on the back door it could be:
    Zone is on soak test
    Zone is programmed unused
    Contact and or sensor is disconnected or faulty.
    Set the alarm and try another device on the same zone. If that is working its the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,656 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi

I've recently had my HKC alarm installed by my relation. We're testing it at the moment? Why is it that the alarm will arm with an open zone on a contact, i.e. back door is open and the alarm arms. However if I stand in front of a PIR, the arming is prohibited and open zone appears on the RKP. Can anyone please help me as this is driving me mad trying to figure out what might be wrong?

It could be a wiring issue. If the panel sees the zone as closed it will ARM normally. If the back door is on its own zone open the alarm loop and see if this shows the zone open in the panel. Another thing to check is if the reed on the contact is working correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 CantonaIsGod

Thanks for the information guys. Let me try a few things over the weekend and I'll revert to you if I have any luck / still in difficulty.

Just as a matter of interest some of the window contacts are behaving in the same manner as the back door, i.e. arming is possible when the window is open, however another window in the same zone doesn't have the issue, i.e. if that window is open then arming is not possible. Does this clarify my problem any bit better or help you to diagnose my problem any easier?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Are they separate contact, or are they combined MC sensor/contact.?
    If other devices are working on the same zone you can rule out the zone been unused oron soak test.

Hi Koolkid

It seems that the SensorContact combined is not working in the zone whereas the contact sole is working ok. Does this make sense?

• Advertisement

So if you open any contact it works, but not if you bang a sensor?
    Is this the same for that entire zone?

With the inertia/contact you will need a loop between the contact and shock for the device to work correctly. Put a loop of cable across the first two, alarm alarm, tamper tamper, alarm alarm, in the last two get the cable going to either the next sensor or straight back to the control panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Cadzer

It could be the the contact. Check that the zone is not programmed for ent/exit??? the installer might think you will use the back door as an entry exit zone.

Hi guys, the problem with the back door was an errant wire that was connected up in the panel. Thats sorted now. The problem with the window contacts arming on open is a bit more bizarre. If you physically pull the contact away from the magnet then the zone is open otherwise it is closed. Something to do with the proximity of the contact to the magnet perhaps. Strange one.

The magnet needs to be installed on the opening side of the window. The inertia/contact need to be installed there also not on the hinged side of the window frame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭seanwindle22

hi Altor

I having trouble with an open zone. hkc 812 panal is telling me zone 9 front door is open when I go to part set but will set fine when I do a full set. there is only a mc contact on the front door. any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

If you let the timer run down on full set does it arm?

hi Altor

I having trouble with an open zone. hkc 812 panal is telling me zone 9 front door is open when I go to part set but will set fine when I do a full set. there is only a mc contact on the front door. any ideas?

Is the device working correctly in walk test?
    Is the magnet lined up correctly?

altor wrote: »
    Is the device working correctly in walk test?
    Is the magnet lined up correctly?

Thanks Altor thanks for reply it was just a bad contact replaced it and everything is fine now. With all these recent storms and power cuts I noticed that after a power cut the alarm will only power via d battery for about 10 hours. Is there any alternative UPS that can be used to keep the unit power in a power cut ?

To calculate the best size battery to use.
    Measure the currant consumption in standby mode and again in full alarm mode.
    Now say that you want a battery that will hold up for 24 hours. Multiply the standby mode by 23 & add on the full alarm reading.
    That will give you the size battery that will hold up the system for 24 hours with the maximum 4 activations.
    If you have an older system where the internal siren and strobe are set to not cut off then you should measure the standby current with these active for more accurate results.

KoolKid wrote: »
    To calculate the best size battery to use.
    Measure the currant consumption in standby mode and again in full alarm mode.
    Now say that you want a battery that will hold up for 24 hours. Multiply the standby mode by 23 & add on the full alarm reading.
    That will give you the size battery that will hold up the system for 24 hours with the maximum 4 activations.
    If you have an older system where the internal siren and strobe are set to not cut off then you should measure the standby current with these active for more accurate results.

Thanks koolkid for d reply. The panal is a Hkc 1070 with. 10 wired zones , a plug on gsm and phone modem.

And do you have a multimeter to calculate as I described above?

Thanks Altor thanks for reply it was just a bad contact replaced it and everything is fine now. With all these recent storms and power cuts I noticed that after a power cut the alarm will only power via d battery for about 10 hours. Is there any alternative UPS that can be used to keep the unit power in a power cut ?

Good to see you got it sorted :)
    If that is the case then you could add a power supply to the system. Just remember to common the negative. What amp battery have you used on the system?

altor wrote: »
    Good to see you got it sorted :)
    If that is the case then you could add a power supply to the system. Just remember to common the negative. What amp battery have you used on the system?

Hi Altor
    Thanks for the reply . The panal Hkc 1070 only came back online today after being off for 3 days with power cuts. The battery in the panal is the one that came eith the panal . I'm not on site till tomorrow but I cannot remotely set the panal " not ready to arm panal in alarm" even tho system is unset. Also the panal will not set with FORCE command. It's worrying if power is down for longer than 6 hours panal is dead

You need to do the maths & get a battery that will hold the system up for longer. I'd always like to have 24 hours.

• Advertisement
Advertisement