Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone please help! Postgrad finance!

Options
  • 24-02-2011 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    I got accepted to 2 courses this week.
    One in University of Ulster which I'd get a grant for as I'm an Irish student and the other for a Msc in Lancaster University. The latter is the course I really really wanted to do for ages now. It's in Volcanology something I've wanted to do since I was little. The only problem is, I cant afford it without finance. But I dont understand the direct gov website. Can anyone point me in the direction of who to ask about graduate loans or something. I'd need in the region of £10,000 altogether for fees and accommodation.
    Any help would be really appreciated!

ta !
    Mcnuggy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

There's no central system of graduate loans like there is for undergrad courses so you're pretty much on your own and will have to look for research council/private/departmental funding. I know some banks do graduate loans for further study but I'd imagine they're not as forthcoming as they used to be with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

I'm doing a Postgrad down in London at the minute, and I have to admit that BOI made it quite easy for me to get a loan when I went looking last September. I thought, given the state of the Irish banks, that they might laugh at me, but they gave me 10k and also a 1 year moratorium on payments without much hassle.

Securing finance in Britain can be difficult when you're not British, so I'd definitely at least try the Irish banks first.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭McNuggy10

abelard wrote: »
    I'm doing a Postgrad down in London at the minute, and I have to admit that BOI made it quite easy for me to get a loan when I went looking last September. I thought, given the state of the Irish banks, that they might laugh at me, but they gave me 10k and also a 1 year moratorium on payments without much hassle.

Securing finance in Britain can be difficult when you're not British, so I'd definitely at least try the Irish banks first.

Hi abelard!! thanks for the response!!!
    I think I'll get myself down to BOI tomorrow and have a chat.
    I'm still an undergraduate at the mo so dont have a full time job or anythin, so wouldnt have spectacular savings or anythin if they were basing approving the loan on that. Did you have a full time job or anything while applying? Hope you dont mind me asking! :)

Advertisement