Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get a job in polling station / or count center

Options
  • 24-02-2011 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭

As the heading goes how would an intrested party get a job at a polling station or count centre?
    How much money does one get for a shift working at one of these jobs?
    Is it cash in hand or are you taxed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

You're probably a bit late......

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

I have a friend working at it.He said the pay is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Should have considered it a month or more ago OP, but yes, taxes, PRSI, and levys are applied.

Apply to the returning officer in you local constituancy, sometimes based in your local court house, in time for the next elections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

I heard that they get approximately €250 for it. Don't know how true that is though, it could be less or it could be more.

Get onto your local politician & ask them how you get a job in a polling station. I can't say I've ever seen it advertised anywhere so they might be able to point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

A friend of mine got it through a friend of a friend's friend. That is the most direct route

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

As the heading goes how would an intrested party get a job at a polling station or count centre?
    How much money does one get for a shift working at one of these jobs?Is it cash in hand or are you taxed?

Sounds great. Shagging colleagues is the way to get ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Why don't those counting the votes work all night, instead of starting at 9 the next morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Why don't those counting the votes work all night, instead of starting at 9 the next morning?

So they can go home and sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

In case there's any delay in getting a box from a polling station to the count centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Iv been told its mainly teachers at the polling stations and the count centres. Is this true?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

If you show up on the day with your Fianna Fail membership card and some Tippex they'll let you count the votes.

They seem to get stuck in over in the UK, and I always thought it odd that same wasn't done here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Iv been told its mainly teachers at the polling stations and the count centres. Is this true?

No it's not true. There's already 7 pages discussing that here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056186947

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I got in touch with the local TD about it a few months ago...all I had to do was promise him my number 1 and I got the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

I'm from Wexford and was going to give it a go, then an article came out in the local paper basically saying that there was no point in applying as they have a list of people who have done it over the years and they just contact them to see if they are available.

Interesting thread about it on politics.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

wild_cat wrote: »
    I'm from Wexford and was going to give it a go, then an article came out in the local paper basically saying that there was no point in applying as they have a list of people who have done it over the years and they just contact them to see if they are available.

Interesting thread about it on politics.ie

You could have still got you name on the list, what if one of those regulars were unable to come in? You could have been next in line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭baldbear

You apply to the local county register with you're CV.

I didn't though but last week a canvesser came to my door and i mentioned it to them. So i'm doing it tomorrow for them, counting and crossing off who votes in my centre. It'll be crap but i need the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Worked in the polling station once years ago, think I was offered by a local candidate.Can't remember if it was FF or FG, I do remember being fed well,both lunch and dinner from a local pub,but that was only for the people who were on the same party as me. The other side got nothing. there was a piss up in the pub later too,but I was too young at the time. Rock on who ever fed me:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

They seem to get stuck in over in the UK, and I always thought it odd that same wasn't done here.
    They do soccer hooliganism with much more commitment too. We're so wishy washy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

orourkeda wrote: »
    So they can go home and sleep.

Surely daylight come and me wanna go home?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Wouldn't you think that unemployed people would have been given the jobs this time round. Having voted for 32 years, it IS usually retired people, teachers, etc. If fairness, this is not rocket science. You're crossing people's names off a list.:rolleyes:

But it's just more cronyism of the worst sort really.

Solnskaya wrote: »
    They do soccer hooliganism with much more commitment too. We're so wishy washy.

We do shoulder-chips better though.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Wouldn't you think that unemployed people would have been given the jobs this time round. Having voted for 32 years, it IS usually retired people, teachers, etc. If fairness, this is not rocket science. You're crossing people's names off a list.:rolleyes:

But it's just more cronyism of the worst sort really.

This year people who aren't working were given a higher priority over those that were, for the Poll Clerk position anyway. The Presiding Officer will probably always stay as someone who is known to be trusted and has done it before, usually a teacher where I am.

Advertisement