Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bug Repellent

Options
  • 24-02-2011 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

I'm looking forward to sunny days (hopefully) after the woeful winter. I'm not looking forward to being ate alive by all manner of bugs - I seem to be a magnet for them. Has anyone found an insect repellent that they found very good? I had a Boots one but don't really think it's any good. I'd particularly like a strong one as I find that parkland courses, especially ones that have a lot of very mature trees, a nightmare - wasps and horse flies buzzing round my legs and arms - and then the midges on my head in the evening. If I could only pretend they're not there, unfortunately I can't and my concentration goes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Halfprice

it's called water. People use it to wash themselves:D:D On a serious note there is a spray we use when training for football as we get ate alive as well espesically when the grass is cut. I'll have to root it out and i'll be back to you.. It's very good

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭goodgolfer64

bugs???ireland???
    never go abroad mate to a warm climate....

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭sweetswing

Go to your nearest camping shop and ask for "Deet" it's the only thing that really works.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭carnsoreboxer

The best insect repellant around. The Royal Marines use it and slowly word is spreading into golf circles. This does work, it has been tried and tested by me, my husband and half of his golf club - they've real problem with midges.

Don't laugh and no I've no connection with Avon but is Avon Skin so Soft!

This is link I use to purchase

http://cgi.ebay.ie/3-x-Avon-Insect-Repellent-Skin-so-soft-Dry-oil-Spray-/230500491626

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭joanmul

The best insect repellant around. The Royal Marines use it and slowly word is spreading into golf circles. This does work, it has been tried and tested by me, my husband and half of his golf club - they've real problem with midges.

Don't laugh and no I've no connection with Avon but is Avon Skin so Soft!

This is link I use to purchase

http://cgi.ebay.ie/3-x-Avon-Insect-Repellent-Skin-so-soft-Dry-oil-Spray-/230500491626
    Thanks for that, I'll give it a go. That ebay listing has ended but I'll find it somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭3qsmavrod5twfe

Deet (Diethyl-meta-toluamide) is the active ingredient in most insect repelents. I think manufacturers here are limited to the amount they can put into their insect repellents but your best bet is to drop into a camping shop or a decent chemists and look for the one with the highest concentration of Deet.

I have used the "Jungle Formula" stuff before and found it reasonably good, but then again, I'm not that prone top getting bites so can't really say if it is brilliant. Must just have a thick skin from all the ribbing about my "power fades"!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Oldenboard

The neurotoxin chemical diethyl toluamide (commonly abbreviated as “DEET”) is a nerve poison, developed by the US army for their fights in the jungle. I wouldn't use DEET in cold climates like Ireland or Sweden (despite its many mosquitos) - https://iitm.be/DEET - as natural essential oils provide sufficient protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

+1 for DEET, it works usually

I seem to attract a lot of bugs though, and it drive me nuts when i am trying to concentrate. I purchased on of these and I carry it in my bag during the summer. Yeah it looks silly but when you have a few horseflies buzzing you nothing is more satisfying than zapping them. It's quite fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Deet works by preventing the insects that use their nose from finding you. It works great on mosquitos.

Sadly for wasps, horseflies and any other flying bastards that use their eyes I believe it has no effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Deet (Diethyl-meta-toluamide) is the active ingredient in most insect repelents. I think manufacturers here are limited to the amount they can put into their insect repellents but your best bet is to drop into a camping shop or a decent chemists and look for the one with the highest concentration of Deet.

I have used the "Jungle Formula" stuff before and found it reasonably good, but then again, I'm not that prone top getting bites so can't really say if it is brilliant. Must just have a thick skin from all the ribbing about my "power fades"!

Brilliant stuff for keeping the midges away.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I was going to recommend this stuff called Repel55 which I first got when heading off to Africa on safari. it's the best of any that I've used. some of the cheaper stuff I find seems to act like a bloody perfume to some of the midgies :(

anyway, I googled it there and it appears it is also called Deet. lol

https://www.mccauley.ie/repel-55-deet-insect-repellent-60ml.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwzunmBRDsARIsAGrt4mvyz-9RIs5u78wE4uoagQuBu9zELlTVkkDXvSgVPuu_uBGTLK69B5saAp3EEALw_wcB

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

Your clothing also helps bright yellow and orange shirts are a disaster for flies , black is good.

Advertisement