Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Macbook Pro Range

Options
  • 24-02-2011 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Im looking to buy a macbook pro in the next few weeks using it for djing along with a midi controller my budget is €2000 what to get in the 15' model ? :confused:

should i go with more ram (8gb) or faster processor (2.2ghz) or would the base model be fine and just upgrade to a HD screen i need somthing very reliable for using at gigs . like to know what you guys think :)

i was going to buy last week thank christ i didnt :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

So what your going to use serato? (or the like)

The base 13" should be fine unless you need (really need) the bigger screen.
    4gigs is plenty, and if you need more then I would not buy from apple as they are expensive.

How are you going to upgrade to a HD screen? / why do you need a HD screen?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'd go with the faster processor over the extra RAM. You will be able to upgrade the RAM a year from now for a lot cheaper, where as you are stuck with the processor. Having said that, the extra .2GHz isn't going to make much difference, but with the higher model you are also getting a better graphics card and larger hard drive.

I don't know, it's 400 extra and 200 over your budget. Tbh I say just stick with the base 15-inch and add on Hi-res display if you want it. Get the RAM at a later date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Numb.Muzik

So what your going to use serato? (or the like)

The base 13" should be fine unless you need (really need) the bigger screen.
    4gigs is plenty, and if you need more then I would not buy from apple as they are expensive.

How are you going to upgrade to a HD screen? / why do you need a HD screen?

yeah il be running traktor with a s4 controller

I really need the bigger screen to be honest , 15 inch would be perfect for my use , i meant to say Hi-Def screen

I cant afford the risk of going with Microsoft when preforming live with a larger risk of crashing + viruses

If you want to actually DJ using MS would be bad, worse than Tiesto (da tit) using a cd turntable and it skipping/scratching.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

I'd recommend a second hand 2010 15" model. They'll be going for around 1000k - 1400k online depending on the spec. And they're more than good enough for live dj'ing. I was using a 2006 mbp until recently and it never let me down. Save yourself a lot of cash. I'd only go for a top spec brand new one if I was doing a lot of multitrack recording or video editing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Numb.Muzik

If you want to actually DJ using MS would be bad, worse than Tiesto (da tit) using a cd turntable and it skipping/scratching.

My setup at the moment is 3 X CDJ 400s + 5 Channel MX-1400 DSP Mixer and am a club dj so im far from using mammys laptop and djing of itunes for gig

• Registered Users Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I am using my 13" MBP for live DJing and it's got more than enough pace; in fact the Macbook it replaced also had oodles of grunt and never struggled live. The other basis that you should consider a 13" is footprint; DJ boxes often have next to no room so I find a small machine a lifesaver at times.

Not insulting you, just making the point that using Windows to run DJ software would be as bad as running CDs.

Advertisement