Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any IRISH musicals?

Options
  • 24-02-2011 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭

The only one I heard was the 1916 rising musical from a few years back. Any other examples that are available on CD?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

There was one called "The Hapenny Bridge" which was in the Point (when it was the point). Think it ran for about three weeks all in.

There was also another one which opened (& closed very quickly) on Broadway in 2007 about Grace O'Mally - The Pirate Queen from the producers of river dance. Think they lost several million on it.

Loads of other YOUTUBE links

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Michael Collins the musical came out last year and was well received. Another new one premiers next month in the Red Cow, Whiskey in the Jar.

Not sure if there are recordings of either...Michael Collins maybe as the amateur rights were released a few months ago after the professional tour finished.

There's also a very talented guy in Galway, originally from Northern Ireland, called Peter Kennedy. He's written a few that have been performed around the country, Clown, God Bless Archie Dean, and Come the Dawn (on this week in Ballinribe). Worth looking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Scawgeen

Would 'Drama at Inish' by Lennox Robinson be considered a musical ?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

I, Keano

Would 'Drama at Inish' by Lennox Robinson be considered a musical ?

Yes and No! It's originally written as a play but The Abbey staged a musical version many years ago. I have a cassette copy of that somewhere I think...I was in the play a while back and then a friend of a friend produced the vinyl album, they had been in the Abbey production.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

wind that shakes the barley

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Paracore wrote: »
    wind that shakes the barley

Thats a film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

& not a musical

Oh my God!! Was at Michael Collins in Tralee tonight and it was phenomenal. Amazing amazing musical, think I'll have "Fly the flag of freedom high" in my head all week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ShaveTheWhales

The Shaughraun is the best irish play i've seen. Although its lacking in musical aspect. I also saw I,Keano but the less said about that the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Typicallyso

There is a musical 'smoke and mirrors' set in a town rural Ireland in 2010. Good mix of music in it.and about 20 cast with as many extras as wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Michael Collins is back! 2 societies a year bring given the rights. Currently on in Draiocht in Blanchardstown. Delighted that this show is back on the circuit, its a special one.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

Angela's Ashes

Once

Two great Irish Musicals

Advertisement