Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

13" Macbook Upgrade Options

Options
  • 24-02-2011 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hello,

I have a 13" 2009 macbook pro. 2.53 GHZ Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM, 250GB HDD. Following the second refresh since i got it (3/1/2010) i think it may be time to upgrade it.

Now obviously the processor cant be upgraded, nor can the graphics card.

However, the RAM can be upped and the capacity can be increased.

Firstly, can anyone recommend a reputable vendor for 8GB ram for the above model. I've tried crucial.eu but they never seem to have it in stock.

Where capacity is concerned I am looking at swapping out the the HDD for an SSD, but i don't want to sacrifice capacity for speed, so I am probably going to hold out for a price drop on the SSD front and spring for 500 GB model in a few months time.

Is there anything else beyond RAM and Capacity which can be upgraded?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭barryj

MCD. wrote: »
    Is there anything else beyond RAM and Capacity which can be upgraded?

That's about it really - disk and memory.

I think it'll be more likely at least into next year before 500+ SSDs start going for reasonable money! It's into four figures presently. For that kind of money, you'd have a new i5 MacbookPro.

Might be worth thinking of a smaller one if you need the speed now, and keeping some data on an external drive (pop the old one in a cheap enclosure) and you've a handy external one for nearly free!

- barry

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

MCD. wrote: »
    Firstly, can anyone recommend a reputable vendor for 8GB ram for the above model. I've tried crucial.eu but they never seem to have it in stock.
    Are you sure? I can see a 2x4GB kit on Crucial now.

http://www.crucial.com/eu/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=52E2A4C4A5CA7304

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

These refreshes have also got me thinking of ugrading to 8gb of ram, especially when i have 2x2 gig sticks sitting in my house that arent being used that I could sell.

Can the 13" 2.4ghz 2009 macbook pro definitely take 2x4 gb?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Talisman

These refreshes have also got me thinking of ugrading to 8gb of ram, especially when i have 2x2 gig sticks sitting in my house that arent being used that I could sell.

Can the 13" 2.4ghz 2009 macbook pro definitely take 4x2 gb?
    The MacBooks only have two RAM slots so you need two 4GB sticks if you want 8GB RAM.

I know i bought those for a macbook, I am going to sell them.

Can the macbook pro definitely support 2 4gb sticks?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The mid-2009 13-inch MBP (which is what I have) definitely does support 8GB.

But are you sure that processor is right, Conor? 2.4?

Yup definitely 2.4, and the pageouts/pageins are starting to get high sometimes so I could do with the ram.

I wish Apple put in more than two bays, 2gig modules are cheaper.

Then it must be a 2010 model.

I cant type at all today. It just got delivered after new years so I dont know why I said 2009 and i was complaining about there being only 2 slots but i said 4x2GB when i meant 2x4GB.

Advertisement