Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is a puppy not a puppy any more?

Options
  • 24-02-2011 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

When we got our male Golden Retriever puppy last August someone said to me that he will be a puppy until he lifts his leg to pee. Today at just over 8 months old I noticed for the first time that he raised his leg to pee. Does this mean I should no longer refer to him as a puppy? Does it also mean he is sexually mature now?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

He is sexually mature by now, but at the moment, he's a teenager, so still a puppy really. Golden retrievers aren't adults until they are fully grown, between 15-16 months of age. It differs with different dogs, for example the beagle is the breed of dog that matures the earliest, at around ten months of age. While a dane is still a puppy until two years old despite being a small horse by ten months:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

It's not a case of simply cocking his leg means he's not a puppy, it'll be behaviour too and how mature he is. If it was simply cocking a leg then my JRT would be a 3 half year old puppy :D

Advertisement