Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rear Cassette / Chain length question.

Options
  • 24-02-2011 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My new wheels arrived already!

Instead of swapping over my rear cassette, I'm thinking of keeping my old rear wheel as a quick swap out for Turbo Training.

My current rear Cassette is a Shimano HG50 8-speed 12-25 (according to the specs here)

I'm wondering, if I get this HG50 8-speed 11-30 option - will it be compatible with my existing chain? Or would I need a different chain length to accommodate the larger rings?

Thanks for any tips.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

You'll need a new chain. 11-25 to 11-30? see what buying new wheels does? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

11-30 is a mountain bike cassette and well out of spec for a road rear derailleur. Having said that it may work- do you feel you need the easier gearing? If you don't specifically need it get something more like what you have already.

You would need a new chain, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Thanks for the replies.

The 12-25 suits me fine at the moment, I just thought it might be nice to have more variety across the gears.

Hadn't realised it was a mtb cassette. Will keep looking for a 12-25 so.
    Might have to get it online

This new wheel business might end up being a slippery slope - already having trouble getting any of my tyres onto the new wheels...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

gaffmaster wrote: »
    The 12-25 suits me fine at the moment, I just thought it might be nice to have more variety across the gears...

I ran a 11-30 on a road bike without problem. Now running a 13-25.

[edit] Actually, now that I think of it, that bike started life as a hybrid so it may have a longer derailleur cage than the standard road bike...

Advertisement