Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Developer Preview of Mac OS X Lion announced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭barryj

More details and pictures:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/lion/

- barry

• Registered Users Posts: 43,810 ✭✭✭✭Basq

"Max OS"?

What.. was "Extreme OS" taken?

bazinga.jpg

;)

Basq wrote: »
    "Max OS"?

What.. was "Extreme OS" taken

;)

Fixed. Was a bit quick off the mark!

Interesting thing - Server and Regular version are now combined.

- barry

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭Talisman

barryj wrote: »
    Interesting thing - Server and Regular version are now combined.
    There was speculation that it might happen after the XServe got retired in November. It will most likely be an optional install item rather than part of the standard installation because you can seriously screw up your system if you don't know what you're at when you tackle some of the server tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I presume this requires the 99 euro or whatever subscription and not just the free joining option?

Yep obviously have to be a paying developer - wishful thinking on my behalf that a free membership would give you access to a download.

• Advertisement

I presume this requires the 99 euro or whatever subscription and not just the free joining option?

Correct - you need a subscription. You get a redemption code that's unique to you as a developer which is used on the App Store. Downloading it now.

- barry

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

For anyone who hasn't already watched this on the Apple site, here's a cool video showing how gestures and animations will work in Lion:

I think anything above 2 fingers or maybe three seems ridiculous for everyday usage.

Nice to have in but does anyone actually use 3 finger or rotate (cmd r) on the trackpads never mind five finger pinch in lion - screen corner seems more natural.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

AI have some screenshots of the developer preview which show a slightly new look interface for most applications, including the Finder. They have it annoyingly spread across half a dozen pages to increase hits though.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,810 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Some of those gestures are quite frankly ridiculous! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Anyone hate the lack of colour on the finder side bar?!

They done this with iTunes....I found a way of getting the colour back (config. file) but it is annoying doing that each time iTunes is updated! Probably won't be a fix for re-introducing colour to side bar in Lion's finder :mad:

Didnt reliase the finder sidebar had colour.

The little icons and names do me - i rarely notice/use finder.

Well, having spent an hour or so trying out Lion, firstly, I'd have to say it feels pretty polished - and Safari is definitely snappier! Using it now to post this.

Installation was a doodle - just used Disk Utility to create a new partition and install took about 15 minutes after that. System was busy for a little while after first boot, as my mail imported and spotlight did its thing.

My first reaction was to scrolling - they've reversed the trackpad scrolling action by default to match that of IOS (drag down -> page moves down). Thankfully a checkbox in the Trackpad panel fixes that.

The little disappearing scrollbars are nice, and give just a little more useable screen estate, and the option is there to show them if you prefer that.

There's an auto-correction feature that works like in IOS, and fixes your spelling after you press space when you're typing - works in Safari anyway, assuming it's system wide. I hated that in IOS at first, but learned to love it, so I'll get to like it in Mac OS too.

Safari is version 5.1, and haven't noticed much different from the current version yet.

Mail definitely looks much nicer now - there's a checkbox to revert to Classic layout if you prefer it. Haven't really played around with it enough to get a feel for the Conversations feature.

A warning to anyone considering buying a 2GB Air (non-upgradeable) - Lion seems to like memory - it's using over 2GB now with just a few Safari tabs and Mail open. Make sure you have at least 4GB. Now I'm guessing this may be a debug build of Lion, or not fully optimized, but don't corner yourself.

As regards the Finder monochrome icons - I'm in two minds as to whether I like them or not. It perhaps looks a little cleaner - I think the overall sidebar looks tidier now, but curiously if you look in the preferences, the section on what to show in the sidebar uses all the traditional colour icons. Don't really like the switch that picks how files are displayed (icons, list, etc).

As regards the gestures, I think I agree with most here that, some of them are a bit crazy. I love two finger scrolling since Snow Leopard, but have not really made use of any 3/4 finger gestures. I've tried a few in Lion and the three and four finger up/down and left/right are OK, but I hate any of the pinching type gestures, and pinching with four fingers just feels wrong - I don't know how any women with long nails are going to deal with that! As long as there are keyboard equivalents for the main ones, I don't really care.

The full screen mode works nicely and left/right swipe works well and flows well between apps that are a mixture of full screen and non full screen mode.

One thing I miss is there seems to be now way to display which Space number you are in in the menu bar. I presume it'll appear in a later release.

Mission Control presents things nicely, a little better than Expose - but to me it's just Expose with a few changes - hardly rocket science.

Anyway, overall am impressed with Lion in the sense that it looks polished and seems stable, for an early release. Haven't investigated the server features yet. Maybe over the weekend.

- barry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Have they implemented tabs in Finder?

silvine wrote: »
    Have they implemented tabs in Finder?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Narcissus

Thanks for the above barryj. What is the install size of Lion?

I think installer is about 3.5GB. Installed size is about 10GB. Wouldn't pay too much attention to sizes - most likely a lot of it is debug builds.

- barry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

I'm using it now too.

One really annoying thing that I can't seem to fix is Safari's menu bar is set to auto hide, as if it's always in full screen mode :(

Works fine for me.

You sure you're not in full-screen mode?

File a bug report if it's not working correctly.

- barry

definitely wasn't in full screen, am well used to using OS X! another restart of safari seems to have fixed it for now

• Advertisement

I'm running Lion on my Main computer and I got to say it runs extremely well. I love full screen. I have a full beta blog up on geekofcomedy.com I have the airdrop screen shots and finder too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭Homer

Which file is it for the disk image of 10.7? I can't seem to see it in the developer downloads section?

On the developer section once you registered for $99 click the lion tab. It will give you a redeem code you punch in at the mac app store.

I use a Wacom tablet as my input device and to say Lion isn't geared towards that sort of input would be a massive understatement.

It's all gesture based which is the way apple is going, but it doesn't translate easily to something like a tablet which a lot of people use as their input devices so they don't have to keep switching.

It does seem pretty good and I might pull out the Magic mouse and see what t's like when you've got all the gestures, but without some form of gesture input device it seems to be a bit of a pain.

Also, I'm really missing the spaces screen, a row in Mission Control just isn't the same.
    They all have there own backgrounds which is nice, but I often used spaces to find myself a free bit of desktop and now each space looks "busy" as it shows you the background in MC, not just a plain blue space.

Just my 2c worth, mainly complaints, but that said I do love the overall feel of it so far.

The new system info page is cleaner.

But how do you find out deeper info about your ethernet card, burner, hard drive manufacturer, printers, and hardware raid?

From the second I saw mission control I knew it was going to be more awkward to use for people who loved spaces and perhaps easier for new adopters from iOS.

What is the shortcut for mission control?
    You can assign a corner of the screen to bring up mission control?

No you cant use old time expose and spaces.
    That is special, spaces are now only in rows.

Does non app store apps work with launchpad and/or mission control.

Opposite scrolling makes no sense on a laptop/desktop.

What is the shortcut for mission control?

F3.
    Opposite scrolling makes no sense on a laptop/desktop.

First thing I changed was the scrolling - they need to reverse the default to be the normal is it is now, with the option to change for those who've never used anything other than IOS!

- barry

generally I think they like leaving new features like the scrolling set to the new option, so everyone knows it's now possible etc.

Don't necessarily agree with it but IIRC that's why they tend to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 pcboy

barryj wrote: »
    F3.

First thing I changed was the scrolling - they need to reverse the default to be the normal is it is now, with the option to change for those who've never used anything other than IOS!

- barry

I actually already get use with the new reverse-scrolling on Lion :D

Advertisement