Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Richard Ashcroft

Options
  • 24-02-2011 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

I recently bought his latest album 'RPA & United Nations of Sound'. Have to say it's very good, really enjoying it atm. The new sound he's went for is superb, his voice is as strong as ever and some great uplifting tunes on the album.

Always a fan of him, I loved 'A Northern Soul' and 'Urban Hymns' with his time with The Verve. Got all his solo albums, some of it hit and miss but when it's a hit it's excellent. What's peoples opinions of mad Richard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

I liked some of the United Nations of Sound album "America" and "Thing Called Life" are two songs I can remember but havent listened to it in along while feels like a good 6 months or so now, he didnt plug it over here which was a pity and its only due to be released stateside in early March. "Are You Ready" and a new song called "The Future's Bright" are in that new Matt Damon film Adjustment Bureau

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

I loved the album, RPA and UN of sound are different to the Verve and Ashcroft's solo stuff, in a good way...

I dont know if you have heard this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS9vCx593YM

Its called Third Eye, it wasnt on the album but this is a wonderful song. I recommend a listen if you like RPA and UN of sound

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭32_4_1

brilliant album. really uplifting.

inmyday wrote: »
    I loved the album, RPA and UN of sound are different to the Verve and Ashcroft's solo stuff, in a good way...

I dont know if you have heard this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS9vCx593YM

Its called Third Eye, it wasnt on the album but this is a wonderful song. I recommend a listen if you like RPA and UN of sound
    Yeah I have that song in mp3 on the computer its good, I also have another one called Captain Rock that wasnt on the album which is a good tune also

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

One of the reasons I started this thread was that I was surprised to see how poor the reviews were. It could have been his timing was unfortunate and his style just wasn't fashion last summer. But imo, if you put it up against his other solo stuff I think it's his best to date.

Let My Soul Rest is an absolute crackin' tune.

• Advertisement

Yeah I seen all the poor reviews when it came out but I thought there was a great vibe in this album. Its much better than the likes of Human Conditions, I'm surprised Are You Ready wasnt a bigger hit because its very catch if was sung by The Verve instead RPA & the United Nations of Sound I reckon it would have got more or even some radio play. I actually listened to the album for the first time since about August today and it still sounds good and fresh whereas his other solo work hasnt been taken off the cd rack in a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

I'm not sure what other people think but for me the production on his solo albums almost smothered the songs?, very polished and possibly over produced in places. I saw him in the Ambassador I think it was just before Human Conditons came out and was blown away by his voice and the songs, then the album came out and it wasnt the same. I still think A Song for the Lovers is class,possibly his best solo song?

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

Dotsey wrote: »
    Yeah I seen all the poor reviews when it came out but I thought there was a great vibe in this album. Its much better than the likes of Human Conditions, I'm surprised Are You Ready wasnt a bigger hit because its very catch if was sung by The Verve instead RPA & the United Nations of Sound I reckon it would have got more or even some radio play. I actually listened to the album for the first time since about August today and it still sounds good and fresh whereas his other solo work hasnt been taken off the cd rack in a long time

Totally agree Dotesy.

From his first album, Song for the Lovers is a crackin tune, the rest is very average to poor. New York and Crazy World pretty good. Second album was an improvement. Standout tracks being Check the Meaning, Lord, I've been Trying and Science of Silence.The third had Break the Night, Music is Power, Sweet Brother Malcom. Besides that, not great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

I will always love his 'Alone With Everybody' album, some of the songs on it are beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

He has an unbelievable voice and a great ability to write songs. Soulful songs.
    I agree about that Olympia gig. He was amazing!! He does tend to over do the production in the studio. He simply doesn't need it. I'd love hime to do an acoustic album at some stage.

A song that I only recently discovered was 'Could be a Country thing, City thing, Blues thing'

It was the b-side to Song For Lovers so it's quite old but it's a beautiful song if you hav'nt heard it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvD07h8FA7g

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

I love this live version of Check The Meaning.
    The way he changed the key of the chorus is brilliant. Probably should've recorded it this way in hindsight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-30pEJdc9Q

I'm not sure what other people think but for me the production on his solo albums almost smothered the songs?, very polished and possibly over produced in places. I saw him in the Ambassador I think it was just before Human Conditions came out and was blown away by his voice and the songs, then the album came out and it wasnt the same. I still think A Song for the Lovers is class,possibly his best solo song?
    I was at that Ambassador gig myself I just remember not knowing any of the songs off Human Conditions as it wasnt released at the time. I think there's too many downbeat songs on his solo albums, I know he suffers with depression and it shows in some of his songs. But the last Verve album and the UN of Sound were a return to form, would love to see him live again soon

Batesy wrote: »
    A song that I only recently discovered was 'Could be a Country thing, City thing, Blues thing'

It was the b-side to Song For Lovers so it's quite old but it's a beautiful song if you haven't heard it.
    Yeah I remember that song, the b-side off Science of Silence called Get Up Now was good aswell. There was another old Verve b-side called I See the Door is quality aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

I see the Door is a great song yeah, here's another one, same era You and Me it's called. Really good thread, it's got me playing his solo stuff all evening!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fLSb3OPINI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I must check out United Nations of Sound, reviews were poor but this thread is suggesting otherwise! I think his 3 solo albums are good, I just wish he'd make one more album with the Verve. You never know, they've broken up 3 times now so theres always hope :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

Born again is a great song.Beatitudes is rubbish. okish album. she brings the music is very good

Advertisement