Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incorporating a dental practice

Options
  • 24-02-2011 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭

I am curious to know whether it is possible for a corporate body to
    own a dental practice? My understanding of the Dentists Act 1985 is
    that it applies to dentists only but I am wondering is it possible for
    a company/corporate body to own or incorporate a practice, employing a
    dentist who would be responsible to patients. Are the business of
    dentistry and the practice of dentistry distinguishable? Any
    information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Yes it is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭sandyhills

my understanding is that dentists could not operate as body corporates but got around this by using dental service companies but will have to clarify this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

It is not possible. Only persons on the register can hold themselves out as dentists. Corporate bodies cannot be registered as they would not have the educational qualifications.
    Dental service companies may be used which hold the assets of a practice which they lease on to the dentists. The company is the servant of the dentist and not the other way around. This can result in the avoidance of personal liability for defective premises, rent and lease payments for machinery equipment as well as the liability for employment related claims by some employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

Presumably doctors can do the same.

Could a firm of solicitors create a similar model for their practice regarding their employment of ancilliary staff and their holding of the premises?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭bath handle

Some have.

• Advertisement
Advertisement