Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strongly thinking about importing a 40 foot container of

Options
  • 24-02-2011 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

Sleds! Ive got a decent price where i could sell them wholesale at €7.25 or retail at €14.99. (probably do both)

I have storage sorted for the 12500 sleds

I heard of lots of place selling them for €20 during last november and december but im just wondering what kind of prices people were paying? 4 colours , decent quality

sledge.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

Logistics is only one factor in making money. You've got marketing, sales, distribution, etc. to look after.

Not to mention gamble that there'll be snow this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Hello TheInquisitor,

If you need any advice / assistance on the import process, have a look at the attached document.

Any questions, let me know

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

RUDOLF289 wrote: »
    Hello TheInquisitor,

If you need any advice / assistance on the import process, have a look at the attached document.

Any questions, let me know

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Cheers Rudolf but im actually getting them off a very good and very cheap uk company so they've done all the hard work! Many thanks though for the PDF , might come in very handy in the near future

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Throw in a load of snow socks/chains, they were selling for up to €60.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Sleds! Ive got a decent price where i could sell them wholesale at €7.25 or retail at €14.99. (probably do both)

Buying 12500 at this time of year, suggests a clearance price. I'd offer £2.50 stg each max for the risk. - Storage costs & distribution costs will add greatly.

Also, if there was a market for this quantity, you can be guaranteed the guys in Smyths would have sourced one directly.

You'll find most stores that pay 7.25 will want to retail at about €18, larger stores will want to sell at €20. So you won't be offering anything better than what is available from the noirmal supply channells where most stores will already have an account with.

From a store's point of view, they take up a lot of space & will only sell if there's a lot of snow.

Finally, yes, we've had snow for the past 2 winters. But it was over 20 years ago that the previous decent snow fell. - Odds are too long for this type of punt.

• Advertisement

91011 wrote: »
    Buying 12500 at this time of year, suggests a clearance price. I'd offer £2.50 stg each max for the risk. - Storage costs & distribution costs will add greatly.

Also, if there was a market for this quantity, you can be guaranteed the guys in Smyths would have sourced one directly.

You'll find most stores that pay 7.25 will want to retail at about €18, larger stores will want to sell at €20. So you won't be offering anything better than what is available from the noirmal supply channells where most stores will already have an account with.

From a store's point of view, they take up a lot of space & will only sell if there's a lot of snow.

Finally, yes, we've had snow for the past 2 winters. But it was over 20 years ago that the previous decent snow fell. - Odds are too long for this type of punt.

1) i wouldn't be receiving the sleds until August. This is not clearance , they will be coming direct from China

2) Storage costs would be zero as i have a relative with some free space.

3) Distribution will be myself in a van. Again keeping everything to a minimum cost.

4) €7.25 would be the highest trade price only if someone is buying less that a pallet(400). If they buy a pallet they would get a reduced rate of €6.25 so it gives them around 47% margin.

5) Again your right about snow , you can't predict it, but the north and every mountain always gets snow and the threat of snow a week out often sells them. Its like this , if it snows for one weekend over winter ill sell every single one of them.

6) I think the price im getting is a fantastic price. In fact i doubt anyone would be selling them on cheaper .

But please keep the questions coming. It's getting me thinking more about this which is a good thing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭aidan.connolly

Hi

If you buy from the UK, you will need to be Vat Registered in Ireland so that the supplier in the UK does not charge you UK Vat which you wont be able to recover.

If you are then Vat registered you will need to charge Irish Vat. This wont be a problem for most shops as they can recover the Vat. Be aware the price you see in a shop contains 21% Vat so by selling at 20.00 the net sale to the shop is EURO 16.53.

Good luck with it

Aidan

Yup thats fine Aidan ill be setting up a Vat registered company to sell them

Again relative accountant in the business can do it on the extra cheap

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭aidan.connolly

Because of the product, would you require product liability insurance ?

Aidan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Yup thats fine Aidan ill be setting up a Vat registered company to sell them

Again relative accountant in the business can do it on the extra cheap

Cheers

Probably cost you less in the long run to register for VAT as a sole trader.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Whats your route to market?

Because of the product, would you require product liability insurance ?

Aidan

No as ill be purchasing them off the manufacturer who is within the European Union they are the ones that need the insurance not I. So im covered there.
    Whats your route to market?

4 Probabilities

1) Rent tiny spaces in town centres and sell from there.

2) Sell from the back of a van at farmers markets etc

3) Use the internet for sales(not enthuastic about this as sleds are such an impulse buy). Maybe a cheap and cheerfull website just where people can contact me about trade sales

4) I know a Rep who works with lots of garden centres so i could use him on a 5% commission on sales.

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Might I suggest teaming up with whoever is selling Christmas Tree's if its snowing, would be a nice collaboration and upsell.

Might I suggest teaming up with whoever is selling Christmas Tree's if its snowing, would be a nice collaboration and upsell.

Thats a great idea actually. Much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

I paid 2.50 for one on ebay during xmas period, and got another for 3.50
    postage was 2.00
    Are these the really light ones?

BengaLover wrote: »
    I paid 2.50 for one on ebay during xmas period, and got another for 3.50
    postage was 2.00
    Are these the really light ones?

Would you be able to link them?

Here is an E-bay link of the ones i'd be selling

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DELTA-SNOW-SLEDGE-TOBOGGAN-W-ROPE-PINK-RED-BLUE-BLACK_W0QQitemZ320631493121QQcategoryZ57929QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DDLSL%252BSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%252BDDSIC%26otn%3D8%26pmod%3D290510523296%252B290510523296%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7319032277510144740

These are made of decent plastic. Quite Sturdy. Just tried to bend one there. Their strong!

4 Probabilities

1) Rent tiny spaces in town centres and sell from there.

2) Sell from the back of a van at farmers markets etc

3) Use the internet for sales(not enthuastic about this as sleds are such an impulse buy). Maybe a cheap and cheerfull website just where people can contact me about trade sales

4) I know a Rep who works with lots of garden centres so i could use him on a 5% commission on sales.

1) - Crazy price, you'll need staff etc etc

2) Hard work, and you have to do deals (remember it winter and weather will be crap too)

3) Can work, but link with other sites. - Readers offers in newpapers can work too - the shoe covers for snow sold 3000 pairs in one week

4) Garden centres not great for Christmas toys things. - I'd go for likes of Smyths, but they may already have one.

The Christmas Tree seller option is a good idea, but you may get zealous other traders / council wardens stopping this. - Only live christmas trees can be sold at side of road without licence.

91011 wrote: »
    1) - Crazy price, you'll need staff etc etc

2) Hard work, and you have to do deals (remember it winter and weather will be crap too)

3) Can work, but link with other sites. - Readers offers in newpapers can work too - the shoe covers for snow sold 3000 pairs in one week

4) Garden centres not great for Christmas toys things. - I'd go for likes of Smyths, but they may already have one.

The Christmas Tree seller option is a good idea, but you may get zealous other traders / council wardens stopping this. - Only live christmas trees can be sold at side of road without licence.

1) Rent on commercial property has halved since the beginning of the recession but anyway i would just do some kind of concession in a shop. Would need max 3 metres squared. Hiring no staff. It would be me and my partner selling in 2 different places

2)Don't understand what you mean? We wouldnt exactly go to a farmers market if its raining. Completly swtich our selling area as things demand. Bad weather(rain) sell to trade people(garages) etc . Snow sell everything for full price in whatever format we decide works best

3) Most i would do on a site is use it for trade contacts. Packaging and posting is too much hassle. Online payments etc and all of a sudden your spending close to 10k.

4) Garden centres would be absolutely perfect for sleds!

5) Sell at trade prices to coillte maybe

1) Rent on commercial property has halved since the beginning of the recession but anyway i would just do some kind of concession in a shop. Would need max 3 metres squared. Hiring no staff. It would be me and my partner selling in 2 different places

2)Don't understand what you mean? We wouldnt exactly go to a farmers market if its raining. Completly swtich our selling area as things demand. Bad weather(rain) sell to trade people(garages) etc . Snow sell everything for full price in whatever format we decide works best

3) Most i would do on a site is use it for trade contacts. Packaging and posting is too much hassle. Online payments etc and all of a sudden your spending close to 10k.

4) Garden centres would be absolutely perfect for sleds!

5) Sell at trade prices to coillte maybe

I'm just giving you the heads up - I'm 23 years in retail from a small stall type store to multiple units in major shopping centres and was a UK brand manager for large US corporation.

1) Rent has halved, but not rates or service charges. Even in a downturn, renting for the Christmas market is expensive and again you're depending on snow. You will need staff, as you must trade for the trading hours of the centre and 3x3 in middle of busy centre for Christmas, will cost about €30,000 at todays "lower" rents. (Used to be 50k minimum in Liffey valley for 6 week period from mid Nov)

2) Farmers markets / markets in general. You can't just go if the weather is fine. You sign up for multiple week packages. If the weather is dreadful, you have to be there, but the customer may not be. If you don't turn up, you lose your pitch. BTW - Farmer's markets won't allow you sell toys.

3) You need to do a little research. You're basically ignoring the one avenue that is probably the best to get sales.
    Think of situation - Its snowing, forecast to continue for 2 weeks. Can't get to markets due to weather, same with shopping centres. What type of store sells a sled. - Lets key it into internet. (if you've done your homework, you come up #1) - click to buy, use paypal as payment and throw address label onto sled and get it picked up (daily by a courier (€5/delivery) - The product is robust enough not to need outer packaging.

4) Garden centres are normally in out of the way locations and thus, if it snows, it will be difficult to get there. In any case, unless they are majorly into Christmas decorations, they won't have much traffic in their stores at Christmas. And, most are independent retails, so you have to sell to each and ever one of them a product that is 100% weather dependent. - Most will say no.

5) Coiltte will not get involved in a private enterprise. - They don't even sell Christmas tree stands.

I think, you need to pass on this unless you are willing to to lose your money - it a gamble. Same way I have a decent bet (over €1k) on FG to get 68-71 seats. I can afford to lose it as it part of my annual "fun" money (less for cheltenham if it loses:p - If it wins, I get over €12k:D).

You've effectively said you're not interested in the only outlet that can give you immediate and national coverage the minute a snowflake falls! That's utterly crazy.

The guys with the snow shoes sold 3000 pairs in the week before Christmas for 29.99 via a website and an advert in the Irish Independent. - Not a chance in hell that they would have done this through normal retail channels.

Anyway - its free advice, take it or leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Thats great Inq.
    Hope it works out for you. Thats exactly what entrepreneurship is all about. Be confident in your idea.
    All I would say..and Iv said this to many people...just be fully aware of the business enviroment in which you are operating in...do your research and do somne more.
    Best of luck...sounds like a good idea buddy!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement