Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it feasable to turn my HTC wildfire into ipod replacement using 32gb sd card

Options
  • 23-02-2011 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi all...
    The thought occured to me today...why the hell dont i sell my 32gb itouch and buy a 32gb sd microcard and put my music on my wildfire?
    This would work, wouldn't it?

I absolutly Love my HTC. I am just thinking, would this overload it a little too much? It is unrooted, basic model on 2.2 since the upgrade about 2 months.

Anyone looking for a phone...i highly recommend. But for anyone using this as sole mp3 player...feedback most welcome.
    Thanks..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Fisher Calhoun

I have a Desire HD and I use it as my only music player. I don't see the reason why you'd want to carry a second device, tbh. I tend to have my phone nearly always on (or near) me, so it doubles up perfectly. My phone lets me browse my music by Artist, Album, directly by song title or compile a playlist. It works perfectly and does a great job. Besides the above, I don't know what else you'd want it to do. Possibly best of all, it's a simple drag and drop to put the songs onto the phone. You don't have to use iTunes! That said, you can if you wish use HTC Sync to always synchronise specific folders of music to the phone, but I haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Frank_Leach

I have a Desire HD and I use it as my only music player. I don't see the reason why you'd want to carry a second device, tbh. I tend to have my phone nearly always on (or near) me, so it doubles up perfectly. My phone lets me browse my music by Artist, Album, directly by song title or compile a playlist. It works perfectly and does a great job. Besides the above, I don't know what else you'd want it to do. Possibly best of all, it's a simple drag and drop to put the songs onto the phone. You don't have to use iTunes! That said, you can if you wish use HTC Sync to always synchronise specific folders of music to the phone, but I haven't.

I had the itouch first, and while i like it fine, i use Linux and they just are not compatible with this OS. Or at least for me, i dont like how ipod and linux interract.

Now, i haven't tried the Wildfire on Linux yet, not sure i can even access HTC Sync on this.
    Yea, like you said...i just realised that the Wildfire will support up to a 32gb SD microcard, so its beginning to make sense...

Anyone wanna buy an Itouch 3g 32gb? ;) (jokin mods, i aint pitching anything here!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

if i were you i'd sell both the Ipod 32gb & Wildfire and buy a Desire HD, much faster phone for a 32gb card full of music

scudzilla wrote: »
    if i were you i'd sell both the Ipod 32gb & Wildfire and buy a Desire HD, much faster phone for a 32gb card full of music

Nah...a friend has one, its huge!
    i love my wildfire, perfect size and great operating system..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I just use grooveshark on my phone tbh.

• Advertisement

srsly78 wrote: »
    I just use grooveshark on my phone tbh.

Whats that, a media player?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭calum

Don't have a Wildfire, but I use my unrooted Desire with a 16Gb SD card as my sole music player, and it works just fine. I can't imagine it would particularly stress a Wildfire much more than a Desire.

I use the stock media player, Sailing Media Sync on my Mac to sync it with my iTunes library (I like Sailing Media because it doesn't try to be an iTunes replacement like some of the other solutions), and the free Headset Volume widget from the Market so I can adjust the media volume as well as play/pause/skip tracks using the buttons on the stock Desire headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Whats the widget for? You know u can use the volume buttons on the side of the desire to change music volume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Nah...a friend has one, its huge!

giggidy.

I use my Desire HD as me music player aswell and as someone already posted, I cant imagine it being a problem for the wildfire, so why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭calum

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Whats the widget for? You know u can use the volume buttons on the side of the desire to change music volume?
    Yes, I know you can use the buttons on the side, but very often they're not easily accessible when I'm listening to my music -- apart from anything else, my case of choice is the official HTC pouch which gives no access to the side buttons unless you take it out. And when I'm travelling, the phone is always securely zipped in either my coat pocket or the iPod pocket in my laptop bag while I'm listening. So it's dead handy to be able to control the volume from the headphone remote.

• Advertisement

Whats that, a media player?

It's an online music thingy, you can use it for free on desktop: www.grooveshark.com. Gotta pay for mobile version tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I use my wildfire for music. It's brilliant, nice small and compact. I just need a bigger memory card for all my music! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭cullenswood

calum wrote: »
    Yes, I know you can use the buttons on the side, but very often they're not easily accessible when I'm listening to my music -- apart from anything else, my case of choice is the official HTC pouch which gives no access to the side buttons unless you take it out. And when I'm travelling, the phone is always securely zipped in either my coat pocket or the iPod pocket in my laptop bag while I'm listening. So it's dead handy to be able to control the volume from the headphone remote.

Nice one, had been looking for something like this. I assume leaving the widget turned on has no battery drain implications and simply adjusts the settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

I ditched my iPod Nano as soon as I got the HTC Desire, got a 32 GB SD card and it's a great replacement! One thing I really miss though is the ability to create Genius playlists on the fly.

However, I keep my iTunes library up to date and have been meaning to create a few Genius playlists and copy them over to the phone manually...

I tried out all the main music apps on the market and settled on "Music PlayerPro", liked it so much that I paid two euro for it, only app I've ever paid for!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I used to always have my ipod touch around me, But since i got my desire i hardly ever use it. it's still a better music player than the desire but having everything on one device is brill.

I'd say go for it , buy the 16GB SD card. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭kenyard

tbh creating the index would probably be the biggest problem...
    also dunno how scrolling through 32 Gb of music on the phone is like..
    i find it annoying finding stuff at the moment even.. the wheel on the ipod is quite handy

that said i do just use my phone also. no need for anything else..i guess the only issue is that it eats battery also...
    so sell the ipod, get a spare battery + big sd card and off ya go :)

If you mod your phone you can override the EU regulation volume cap, and get bass boost + graphic equalizer etc. Cyanogen mod comes with all this stuff. Had to mod my Nexus S because the volume was pathetic (now it blows my head off).

Advertisement