Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recieving social welfare after finishing college?

Options
  • 23-02-2011 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

as above, im finished college in may in my 3rd year and ill graduate this year just wondering once i finish college in may can i sign on social welfare?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

At least TRY to get a job. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭student89

yeah i will try and i want to get a job because dont want to be stuck at home 24/7, but whats the chances, probably 0 :mad:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

OP you will need a letter from your college stating you have finished your final year of your course. It will depend on your work history and PRSI contributions whether you qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit or Allowance.

At least TRY to get a job. :D

Warning given. Please remember posts in this forum should be constructive and helpful to the OPs query.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

cee_jay wrote: »
    Warning given. Please remember posts in this forum should be constructive and helpful to the OPs query.

Apologies.

OP it depends mainly on your stamps. If applying this year you need 39 PRSI contributions from 2009, roughly 39 weeks worked, so if you had a part time job for all of that year you should be ok.

Failing that, you will sit a means test. If you are living at home and under 23 it will depend on your parents income. Im not sure about other scenarios but im sure other boardsies can help you out there.

As I said before, while it may be impossible to find work or a career in your chosen course, its much easier to find work in general. Even if its lowly paid and menial it will give you more cash than SW, more focus in general and more employable if you do get the interview for your dream job. So dont give up hope straight away please.

• Advertisement

Yeah i have been working the past 4 years, fulltime in summer and weekends when im at college but recently have been let go at work :mad:

will this help me when applying?

I have left my cv's in shops and other places but havent heard anything back from them, maybe in the summer, but i think i would be better off on social welfare as i would get more money as i have a car to run..but a job would really help, dont want to be telling people im on social welfare would rather be working..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

student89 wrote: »
    Yeah i have been working the past 4 years, fulltime in summer and weekends when im at college but recently have been let go at work :mad:

will this help me when applying?

I have left my cv's in shops and other places but havent heard anything back from them, maybe in the summer, but i think i would be better off on social welfare as i would get more money as i have a car to run..but a job would really help, dont want to be telling people im on social welfare would rather be working..

It will depend on the total number of contributions you have and also the number of contributions you had in 2009. Be sure and keep your P45 from the job you have now been let go from as evidence of the number of contributions for 2010 but by the time you will be applying all 2010 cons should be on the system. It also depends on your average weekly earnings in 2009 as to what rate you will get. If they are below €300 you may be better off opting for JSA but that will be means tested and if you are under 25 your parents earnings will be taken into account. But if your parents earnings are high you would be better off claiming JSB even if it is a graduated payment.

Yeah im 21 and live with my parents, their income is below 300 a week and when i was working i very rarely got 300 a week.

whats the current rates for jobseekers?

My brother is 30 and living with parents and he recieves i think 188 a week, would my payments be different than his.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

I have links below to both JSB & JSA you will find the rates of payment on both.
    It is difficult to say what you would receive on JSB (if you have an entitlement) as it a graduated payment depending on your average weekly earnings. JSA is means tested. If you do have to apply when you go to your sw office they will be able to tell you if you have JSB entitlement and what rate you would be paid at, they may also advise you to go down the route of JSA depending which would be more beneficial to you.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/JobseekerSupports/JobseekersAllowance/Pages/ja.aspx#Rates3

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/JobseekerSupports/JobseekersBenefit/Pages/jb.aspx#Rates3 JSB rates to not appear to be update to new rates.

I checked out the links there and it seems to be depending on your weekly income, mine would vary week to week when i worked so how do they work that out?.

i also know my friend who is 20 and she has the full amount on sw, she was working previous to signing on and would be around 3 to 4 day week.

but im hoping il get the full rate, thats if i dont get a job before then.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Discoland

Also looking for similar info. Can anyone tell me do you need a specific letter or form or just anything from the college saying I'm finished?

Also does it have to be stamped?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Yes and Yes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Discoland

Yes and Yes.
    What's the first yes regarding? I need a specific form? If so does anyone know the name of it?

You might expect my college to have these answers but you know...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

A letter written on College headed paper, signed by the Chief or Deputy, and stamped with the official college stamp.

Zombie thread locked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement