Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blues Slide Guitar

Options
  • 23-02-2011 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Hi. Can anyone here point me in the direction of a good slide guitar player?

Recently got into it and am enjoying it at the moment. Would like to buy some of the music.

cheers,

The Jammy Dodger

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Hi. Can anyone here point me in the direction of a good slide guitar player?

Recently got into it and am enjoying it at the moment. Would like to buy some of the music.

cheers,

The Jammy Dodger

I think typically you'll find that it's a skill that doesn't always feature on every song for many blues guitarists. Rory Gallagher, Johnny Winter and Peter Green would have awesome slide tracks in an album that would feature a whole lot of other goodies.

If it's the older sounds you like then try Kokomo Arnold, Elmore James, Bukka White etc.

To me the ultimate in slide blues is Blind Willie Johnson on "Dark Was The Night, Cold Was The Ground".

Read about what happened with that guys and play that one and prepare to have an experience...!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

IMO the best (electric) slide player was Duane Allman, who died far too young. :(

Listen to some of the early Allman Brothers Band albums, like the classic live album "At Filmore East".

The best current slide player imo is Derek Trucks, who has also played with the Almman Brothers Band. His technique is just incredible for a slide player;

Ry Cooder is an excellent slide player too, and of course Muddy Waters was legendary with a slide. For something a bit more "ballsy" and less technical try George Thorogood.

Edit; Almost forgot Billy Gibbons of ZZTop -another of the greats, with or without a slide.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Pidgeonhouse

Blind Willie Johnson, Blind Willie McTell, Robert Johnson, Mississippi Fred McDowell, Furry Lewis...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 thecleaner

Check out Michael Messer Pure class

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Scoobydooo

Another vote for Duane Allman, he was epic!

• Advertisement
Advertisement