Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to change to 5ghz

Options
  • 23-02-2011 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

I've a 2010 imac with snow Leopard. How do I change the wireless band from 2.4ghz to 5ghz. I can't see the settings anywhere in airport?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭barryj

You need to have a wireless router that supports and is configured with a 5GHz network. You can then connect your iMac to this network.

- barry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

barryj wrote: »
    You need to have a wireless router that supports and is configured with a 5GHz network. You can then connect your iMac to this network.

- barry

I have my wireless n router configured to mixed (. 2.5 and 5ghz). Will the imac use the faster band?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭barryj

silvine wrote: »
    I have my wireless n router configured to mixed (. 2.5 and 5ghz). Will the imac use the faster band?

I think they only way of forcing it, is to use two different SSIDs for the 2.4 and 5GHz networks on your router and give the 5GHz one a higher priority in the network list. I added a 5 to the name of my 5GHz network.

If you can't change the SSIDs then I don't think the Mac provides a way of picking one of the other - it will probably favour the stronger, which may or may not be the faster!

- barry

Advertisement