Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport Extreme

Options
  • 23-02-2011 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭

Hi

I was thinking of acquiring Airport Extreme

My question is :

Is this a stand alone router or do I need another router to conenct it to?

All I want is to plug in broadband cable and connect wireless my radio, Mac, PC and Xbox to get to the web.

Do I only need to buy the Express ?

Cheers

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭barryj

Both the Express and Extreme are stand alone routers, so either should work for you, with your cable modem.

The Extreme adds dual-band networking (the 5GHz band increases transfer speed), and also provides for a separate guest wifi zone. It also adds support for sharing a hard drive.

An express will suffice if you don't need he extra features. Also, the express has an audio out to be used with iTunes, which the Extreme doesn't have.

I have the Extreme as main router, and use a couple of Expresses for sharing iTunes.

Both are usually available on the refurb store for a bit of a discount.

- barry

Forgot to add, the Extreme also has a 3-port gigabit switch - which is handy if you've a few non-wifi devices - I've a printer, and two IP phones attached.

- barry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

barryj wrote: »
    Forgot to add, the Extreme also has a 3-port gigabit switch - which is handy if you've a few non-wifi devices - I've a printer, and two IP phones attached.

- barry

Excellent exactly what I need so. Have one airport Express already

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Hi

Another quick question....

I saw on the Appple Devices Forum that someone had connected a modem to the Apple Extreme Router

Why would you want to do this ?

Thanks

I saw on the Appple Devices Forum that someone had connected a modem to the Apple Extreme Router

Why would you want to do this ?

The Extreme is just a router - it will need to be connected to whatever device provides your Internet service (typically either a DSL or Cable modem). The Extreme does not include modem functionality.

Of course the term 'modem' has become a bit vague - and is not really used in the traditional sense of a modem. It really now means any device required to provide an Internet connection.

- barry

• Advertisement
Advertisement