Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short Story

Options
  • 23-02-2011 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi

I'm writing a short story and I would apprecitate any info any of you might have on writing tips.

My story features in Dublin, can you tell me if you are familiar with the term Gillie, as in you would call someone a 'gillie'?
    It is a term i have used and heard used, but not sure everyone will understand it, so can you let me know your understanding of it, just so i can be sure we're all on the same page!

Cheers :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Moved from Literature to Creative Writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭grumula

gillie is ringing a very vague bell, but i couldn't tell ye what it infers.
    it sounds like ulster slang?! i dunno, put me outa my misery OP.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Write the story and don't worry about whether people might or might not understand a word here and there. It should be obvious enough from the context anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 busbrokers

A gillie is an attendent at a fishing expedition....He would also monitor/guard the lake on for example an estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Suzie433

well in Dublin terms a gillie is someone that is taken advantage of, or being used by someone else. For example, they would do the 'running around' for someone else.

Dictionary describes it as

from Scottish Gaelic gille boy, servant] gilly , ghillie or gilly n
    probably where it comes from.

• Advertisement
Advertisement