Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a good deal for a Nikon D3100?

Options
  • 23-02-2011 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭

I'm off to Dubai on business next week and fancied picking up a Nikon D3100 in Dubai Duty Free.

I sent them an email last night and was given a price list as follows today (I used Google to convert to € and used bold for the item I want to buy):

Nikon D3100 VR Kit with 18-55mm + 70-300mm lens (on Promotion) – Dhs 2,999.00 / US $ 833.05 / €595
    Nikon D3100 VR Kit with 18-55mm lens - Dhs 2,649.00 / US $ 735.83 / €526
    Nikon D5000 VR Kit with 18-55mm lens - Dhs 3,199.00 / US $ 888.61 / €635
    Nikon D5000 VR Kit with 18-55mm + 70-300mm lens (on Promotion) - Dhs 3,499.00 / US $ 971.94 / €694
    Nikon D3000 - Not Available

The D3100 with two lenses looks to be a bargain no?

I welcome your thoughts on the above. Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

It's ok... the 1 lens kit is about 9 euro cheaper than amazon.

That 70-300 is (almost certainly) the old non-VR version, which is a very poor performer, I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Thanks for the handy advice. I was thinking that too, as the same lens on Amazon (the new one) is about £350 which when you work it out, looks like you are paying the difference anyway.

Would I have warranty issues buying in Dubai too?

Does anyone know if Dublin airport or Paris airport have any D3100 deals or prices? I tried Dixons Travel website but they don't publish prices online only to say they beat Amazon prices.

EDIT: Forgot to show you this deal too, heard this store is good in Dubai for Cameras. Has a good rep.

http://www.sharafdg.com/shop/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=4608

Looks like a good deal but I think the extra 2nd lens might be better value in the airport no? SD cards are cheap as chips and a tripod would be awkward to take in my luggage no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jimbojon

I got a D3100 in Dublin Airport the other day. Camera and standard lense 18-55 for €471. Great deal. Ring them first to be sure its in stock. You can then do the shop and collect to save you carrying it. (I think shop & collect can only be done if flying within EU).

I want another lense. Dont know much about them. Any idea what would be a good second lense. Portraits and normal photo's really. I would klike to do Portraits with blurred background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jimbojon

I should have said. In Dixons

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

jimbojon wrote: »
    I got a D3100 in Dublin Airport the other day. Camera and standard lense 18-55 for €471. Great deal. Ring them first to be sure its in stock. You can then do the shop and collect to save you carrying it. (I think shop & collect can only be done if flying within EU).

I want another lense. Dont know much about them. Any idea what would be a good second lense. Portraits and normal photo's really. I would klike to do Portraits with blurred background.

I have that 70-300 its not great at all op. neither fast nor sharp. Sits in the bag a lot

For the shallow depth of field (blurry) you need a big apperture (small f-number).
    For the cash, the 50mm f1.8 is unbeatable

• Advertisement

jimbojon wrote: »

Thanks! I will go with this deal I think. How long ago was 'the other day' and do you know the number to call them? Thanks a mill.

My flight connects in Paris so I should be grand on the EU thing no?

For the record I called Dixons Travel at Dublin airport on Friday, the D3100 was out of stock but the salesperson confirmed the price is 471 European milk tokens.

They also carry the Sony NEX5 for the same price. Think I'll stick with the D3100 though as I like that camera better and it's a proper DSLR.

The salesperson said to call again on Tuesday to check for stock, if it's not in by then I'll be looking to Paris airport for a deal as I'm away before Thursday and connecting in Paris.

Anyone had any experience of duty free shopping at Charles de Gaulle?

Last update. I called Dixons Travel at Dublin airport again today, spoke to another salesperson and asked if the Nikon D3100 was back in stock.

He confirmed it was back in stock, price is €471 (no case or memory card etc though just the lens and body). Got mine reserved today to collect on Thursday. Much cheaper than Dubai and it'll have a valid warranty. I'm happy out now. :D

Get 'em while they're hot!

Advertisement