Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly Fishing Carlow/ Kilkenny Rivers?

Options
  • 23-02-2011 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

I am only a blow in to the Carlow area (moved last September) so I am not up to speed on any of the local rivers in the area.

There's only so much stockie bashing a man can do, I have upgraded my river fly fishing tackle and looking forward to the new season opening in the coming weeks.

I have no problem purchasing permits etc, or even looking at membership to clubs if that's a requirement.

So I was wondering if anyone can offer some tips / advice on local rivers that are worth visiting next month?

I know of both the Nore and Kings river but I don't have fishing knowledge of them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Robbie
    Peter O'Reilly's book "Rivers of Ireland", is worth buying to get a guide to trout fishing in an area - it has pretty much every significant river - club/permit contact details and some fishing guidance for all of them. Very handy if you're travelling as well.

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Yep I have it Steve, but you can't be local knowledge... ;)

There's little or nothing on the internet abut fishing rivers. I think my best bet is join a club, Thomastown & Goresbridge are quite close to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

Hi Robbie.
    If you go into Carlow pop into Murphy's Fishing Tackle shop the guy's in there will be very helpfull and you can also sign up for membership of the Barrow Anglers Club which has some good waters including the Burren river. I find the lads in the shop very helpfull with info on the local fisheries they will let you know where and what is fishing best at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dody

The river burren and river griese can be pretty good in march. Try from around 11 oclock to 2 as there is a hatch of large dark olives at lunch time if the weathers fine.
    If you do join the barrow anglers club (20 euro) , they have flytying classes in the back room of carpenters bar on tuesdays 8.30 to 10pm. There are probably just 1 or 2 nights left before they finish up for the year but its a good place to meet other local flyfishers and get some tips and places to fish.Just turn up and you'll be welcome.

wgsten wrote: »
    Hi Robbie.
    If you go into Carlow pop into Murphy's Fishing Tackle shop the guy's in there will be very helpfull and you can also sign up for membership of the Barrow Anglers Club which has some good waters including the Burren river. I find the lads in the shop very helpfull with info on the local fisheries they will let you know where and what is fishing best at the time.

Thanks Liam, I will check out Murphys shop and see how we get on from there....

• Advertisement

dody wrote: »
    The river burren and river griese can be pretty good in march. Try from around 11 oclock to 2 as there is a hatch of large dark olives at lunch time if the weathers fine.
    If you do join the barrow anglers club (20 euro) , they have flytying classes in the back room of carpenters bar on tuesdays 8.30 to 10pm. There are probably just 1 or 2 nights left before they finish up for the year but its a good place to meet other local flyfishers and get some tips and places to fish.Just turn up and you'll be welcome.

Thanks again, all some useful tips..

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭zacmorris

there are a few nice spot son the Barrow. But all the good spots are controlled by the local angling clubs. Best bet is to join one and get chatting to the lads and hit the spots yourself ;) You'll soon cop on to where to fish-and where not.

Advertisement