Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhoto Question

Options
  • 23-02-2011 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi I've not posted here before but need help please.

I have an old Macbook white which does not have iLife. I bought it second hand as I could not afford a new one at the time. I bought it for photo editing.

I have a high end Nikon SLR camera which takes RAW images but have no way to process RAW and I really would like to be able to.

My question after all of that is will iPhoto allow me to open and edit RAW files? I don't want to buy it if it does not.

Thank you!!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

• Registered Users Posts: 29 sun child

Thank you :) Off to buy iLife...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Picassa is great for editing RAW and it's free.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭barryj

sun child wrote: »
    Thank you :) Off to buy iLife...

If you already have snow leopard installed - iPhoto is available on the App Store for 11.99.

iLife 11, requires Snow Leopard as far as I know.

barry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

I bought iLife 11 on the App Store the other day. Lovely piece of software, but on my iMac it uses a hell of a lot of processor power. I've no idea how to check that, but it freezes the whole computer for minutes at a time.

I've a 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo with 2gigs of RAM.

I just installed the RAM last week, and I can't imagine that iPhoto 11 would have run on it at all with just the original 1 gig.

Just be aware of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭barryj

DubTony wrote: »
    I bought iLife 11 on the App Store the other day. Lovely piece of software, but on my iMac it uses a hell of a lot of processor power. I've no idea how to check that, but it freezes the whole computer for minutes at a time.

I've a 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo with 2gigs of RAM.

Run activity monitor to see what processes are using your resources. IMHO, 2GB is bare minimum currently - 4GB results in a much more useful machine.

- barry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

barryj wrote: »
    Run activity monitor to see what processes are using your resources. IMHO, 2GB is bare minimum currently - 4GB results in a much more useful machine.

- barry

Thanks Barry

I just did that and it really depends on what iPhoto is doing. But even scrolling through 4000 photos brings the CPU percentage up to over 50%. I don't know if that's good or bad, but looking at what happens when it freezes, and some other issues I've had, there may be a problem with the graphics card in this thing.

Unfortunately this machine will only take 3 gigs of RAM, and the other gig is on the way. We'll see if it's any better with that in it.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I've never used it, but apparently, iPhoto Buddy http://www.iphotobuddy.com/ allows you to split your iPhoto Library into multiple smaller libraries. That way, you can load up a smaller library and performance is meant to improve.

Advertisement