Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eMobile Broadband

Options
  • 23-02-2011 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

was looking at getting this... http://www.emobile.ie/phonesplansmore/broadband/

has anyone got it? is it any use?

my friend lives in santry and has a vodafone mobile broadband usb stick and it is awful. it is slow as mid 90s dial ups, text pages take an age and videos are out of the question.

Are all mobile usb sticks slow like this or are there good ones, and if so, which provider??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

eMobile is actually Eircom, using their latest acquisition, Meteor's Network. I've not tested eMobile yet but I'd guess its basically the same as Meteor with a different brand name.

Since I've been in Ireland the I've tested a few and they're all quite bad (O2, Vodafone, 3 and meteor). I heard Digiweb are doing wimax usb dongles but thats only on trial, as far as I know. If you can get it, it would be the best wireless internet.

The best I found of the lot were 3 and meteor. 3 shares some of vodafones network so you get a pretty good coverage, but on peak, speeds are pretty bad and there is a ton of packet shaping going on and dont expect to have a clear conversation on skype.
    Meteor was the next best thing but again peak times can be troublesome in some areas and their signal range isn't great. I was on a train between Dublin and Cork and never lost my 3 signal (other than in the tunnel of course); I rarely kept my Meteor signal on the otherhand.
    Vodafone are OKish, but one of the most expensive. Add to that the extremely high number of people using the network it's no wonder you're having trouble expecially in Dublin.

If you can at all avoid it, I reccommend staying away from GSM/3G wireless providers for internet use. The Irish mobile internet infrastucture is one of the worse I've come across in Europe (with maybe the exception in some parts of Italy, France and Portugal). When/if Ireland improves this infrastucture them I might consider it. Until them you're best selecting a DSL or cable provider (UPC or Smart) or Microwave-wireless provider (Digiweb, but not IrishBroadband)

Thats my rant/advice over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's Meteor. Just Branding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

3 only use Vodafones network for 2G calls and texts where they have no 3G signal (and GPRS data if you have an iPhone) not mobile broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Looked in to them a while ago, same network as Meteor as already stated but the options weren't as good. Meteor had better data bundles for similar cost, might be different now.

Advertisement