Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man Trailing

Options
  • 22-02-2011 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

And no, it's not what you think :D.

I've been doing it for quite some time with one of my APBT's and the Otterhounds. Anyone else out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I'm sorry, can't get past the image of you in full camo, running through the countryside with your dogs, chasing an escaping man:eek::D

May I ask what "man trailing" is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Lol, you are close ;).

Yes it is using the dog to track down a person. I started years ago with a S & R team in the States and enjoyed it so much I kept it going for myself and a few friends around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Was just reading about it, googled it.
    Sounds great fun, my dogs wouldn't even try (even if I gave the guy a roast chicken they'd be easily distracted by a bird or leaf or puddle) and I'm not good cross country at more than a walk.
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Sounds amazing! Can you go into more detail, how exactly do you do it here?

Also boo to your sexist title. :p

I start on my own without a second person, using a sausage water trail. It is kind of hard to explain in writing as it takes quite some time until you actually step it up and teach the dog to search for a particular person via scent.

Next time you are down here we'll do a lesson ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Sausages? One of the boys here would be a natural!! Hungry little beast.;)

I'll dig out my fatigues. :D

We need an all female *man trailing* team just to confuse everybody as to what we are actually doing ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Certainly explains why some of EGAR's dogs had an interest in my sausage.

There is a trend on TV for people to experience jobs from different viewpoints. I wonder if any members of the local hunt would like to give it a try ?.

If anyone is interested in giving it a try, drop me PM and we arrange a session. But you would have to be willing to travel into the depths of County Galway ;).

It's a great way to exercise your dog and brilliant for bonding and reading the dog's body language AND understanding what the dog is trying to tell you.

It's not something a dog can learn overnight and it will tire him out quite fast at first.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Ohhh, I would love to have a go at that! Unfortunately it's not something I think my dog could focus on and don't think she'd ever be suitable for it :(. She'd be running about all over the place looking for wild animal poo to roll in and trying to catch birds :rolleyes:. Any idea if the Civil Defence do this kind of thing EGAR? I made an enquiry a while ago about joining but they haven't got back to me, it's always something to keep in mind when I start thinking about doggy no. 2 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

this is probably similar to what you do, and also a good way to get into it, as they are always looking for fresh "bodies" to help train the dogs
    http://sardaireland.com/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Shane Fitz - Are you in anyway involved with SARDA?

Ah yes, SARDA... and I quote:

The dog will be friendly with people and other dogs. Guarding type dogs, or fighting dogs are often not suitable in temperament

Oh, I see :rolleyes:, wouldn't hold out much hope of me acquiring a dobermann or similar somewhere and making enquires about their training then so :p

Advertisement