Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming from Quinn Heatlh

Options
  • 22-02-2011 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We had a policy with Quinn for about 3 years and are only getting around now to making claims!

Their form seems a bit over complicated and not as simple as just sending in all the receipts ala Aviva.

Has anyone chanced just lumping all the receipts in together and hoping the claims advisor will sort it all out?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Unless things have changed since I stopped working there a few years back, I don't think you'll have to worry about it. Just make sure to sign the relevant parts and declarations. You might need a seperate claim form for each year that you're claiming for and if you're on a plan with a high out-patient excess (e.g. Essential, Essential Plus), the excess applies per membership year.

You may want to call beforehand though to see how far back you can claim. Their rules state that out-patient claims must be submitted within 12 months of the date of treatment, but I don't know how stringently that is applied. I imagine a few months leeway is given, but I'm not sure if it would extend to three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭bullpost

In a similar situation. Complicated by fact that the policy type was changed last April and it doesnt appear to work on a calendar year. I've submitted claims which cover a 13 month period and will post back here if I've any bother with it.
    Hi,

We had a policy with Quinn for about 3 years and are only getting around now to making claims!

Their form seems a bit over complicated and not as simple as just sending in all the receipts ala Aviva.

Has anyone chanced just lumping all the receipts in together and hoping the claims advisor will sort it all out?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭cullenswood

NuMarvel wrote: »

You may want to call beforehand though to see how far back you can claim. Their rules state that out-patient claims must be submitted within 12 months of the date of treatment, but I don't know how stringently that is applied. I imagine a few months leeway is given, but I'm not sure if it would extend to three years.

ah no, I was not aware of this! we have receipts going back to 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

ah no, I was not aware of this! we have receipts going back to 2007.

I don't think that receipts as far back as that will be recognised, but there's no harm asking them anyway.

Also, if you're a PAYE worker, you can claim tax relief from Revenue on any recognised expenses not refunded by your out-patient cover on Quinn. This is allowable up to 4 years back, so in your case you can claim tax back on the 2007 expenses if you make the claim this year (and if Revenue recognises the treatment). See here.

In any case, make a claim from Quinn. They'll send you a statement telling you how the claim was assessed and what you're being paid. Then make a claim from Revenue for the tax relief. They don't require the receipts at the time of claiming, but they can make a spot check on any tax relief claim up to 6 years afterwards. However, as the insurers generally don't return the receipts, Revenue has an arrangement with them that the claims statement will suffice instead of the receipts.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

I can recall in the past claiming for 5 years from VHI but they don't do this anymore. Aviva's t&c's say 3 months but my experience is they don't enforce this and have seen them claim 2 year's receipts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Spoke to someone in Customer Care yesterday and they said there would be no problem sending in receipts back to 2007

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭bullpost

Just got a cheque in the post for this but only covering a 12 month period. Think I can reclaim for the older stuff which falls outside the year.
    bullpost wrote: »
    In a similar situation. Complicated by fact that the policy type was changed last April and it doesnt appear to work on a calendar year. I've submitted claims which cover a 13 month period and will post back here if I've any bother with it.

Advertisement