Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from pregnant

Options
  • 22-02-2011 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've just been banned from the pregnant forum for a week by Das Kitty. The reason given was that I argued with a moderator:-

Arguing with a moderator
    - Do not argue with a moderator in a thread after they have given a warning or a ban etc

I just want some one else to have a look at the situation and not lift the ban, but just make sure that this moderator is acting appropriately, because I do not feel this moderator is acting objectively on this forum at all and feel she pulls out the 'moderator' hat when she's being challenged on a point in a thread.

I asked another poster, why they were critical of the irish midwifery profession. Das Kitty then answered the question on behalf of this poster by saying that it was nice to hear the down side. I replied saying that was all well and good, but it was just something I noticed in general about this poster and so I added a question at the end of my post. Das Kitty then suggested that I address the poster in question in a pm and i explained that I felt the forum was the appropriate place to ask as the poster's point was again downing the irish midwifery profession. I did not seek to drag the thread off course, and simple asked a question to a poster.

I then got a reply on the forum from Das Kitty, saying she was giving an instruction (not a warning an instruction) as a mod and she ask again that I don't drag the thread off topic. The pregnancy forum is full of threads being dragged here there and everywhere with different experiences, points and opinions, so I don't see why my post was interfering with the way of doing things. Moreover, I explained time and time again, that I wasn't trying to bring the thread off topic and that if the poster didn't want to answer my question, that would be fair enough, but I didn't see why the Mod was answering on her behalf.

In any event, I received no warning, I there was a reply in a thread by Das, that she was suddenly now acting as a moderator and was telling me what to do, even though it was she how was persisting with the point, not me.

I'm sorry for the waffle, but as I'm banned I can't link the thread :D I'd like for some one to look at it for me and maybe tell me what they think.

Thank you

HS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Hi HS,

you can in fact browse the forum by logging out, and a link would be very helpful!

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

ooops sorry didn't realise you could do that...I thought boards had tabs on us all 24 hours a day ;):D

Anyhow....these are the initial posts where the 'dispute' arose

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056187639&page=2

^^ You will see from the intial posts between myself and Das Kitty, that she is posting with me as a regular poster. There is no indication that she's posting with me, or giving me any warning that she's acting as moderator in this initial posts. And my replies to her were based on the posting style she had initiated, ie that she was acting as a normal poster and so I was asking her not to answer for some-one else and not to drag the thread off course with the issue. (It was a small one line question at the end of a long post :confused:)

You will see the accusations she then levels at me for asking a simple question to another poster. Further, can I just say that I wasn't aware that when a moderator posts in bold that they're posting to you as a moderator...I thought she was shouting at me :o

Plus, to be fair, straight out banning me for a week was a bit strong, I thought you got an infraction first :eek:

Can I also add at this point, I know I'm being cheeky here, but this isn't the first time I noticed something inconsistent with this moderator.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056164060

^^ here she closes a thread because the op asked for medical advice.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056160311

^^ here she's giving out medical advice :confused:

Despite the inconsistencies in dealing with the threads, an Ectopic Pregnancy (as in the first link) is a very serious condition and I think to close the thread without telling the poster to seek IMMEDIATE medical advice if she thinks she's in that situation is a bit careless imo.

Anyhow, I hope that clarifies matters (though I think I've just managed to muddy the waters a bit more :o ) if you could have a look at the situation and let me know whether the moderator is acting fairly that would be lovely.

*leaves some choccie biccies*

HS

Thanks for the link (and the biccies). Hmm...will ask the mod in question for their point of view. If I don't have a satisfactory reply within the next, say, 24 hours, my immediate view is that the ban should be overturned and an infraction (yellow card, I'd have said) substituted - but we'll see what Das Kitty has to add.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

That sounds reasonable enough. Thanks for taking the time to look over it.

HS

Hi HS,

on balance, I'm going to lift this ban, because while you were in the end arguing with a mod on thread, it wasn't clear until quite some way in that that was what was happening, and you've now been banned for a couple of days, which can be regarded as covering that in any case.

I will say that it is becoming fairly common practice for a mod to use bold to indicate that they're speaking with their mod hat on - possibly those are guidelines we need to establish more firmly as a site, to prevent cases of crossed wires like this one.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Scofflaw wrote: »
    I will say that it is becoming fairly common practice for a mod to use bold to indicate that they're speaking with their mod hat on - possibly those are guidelines we need to establish more firmly as a site, to prevent cases of crossed wires like this one.
    Thanks for highlighting that point, I will raise it.

Cool. Thanks Scofflaw.

Advertisement