Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reccomended Web Design Courses??

Options
  • 22-02-2011 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Im currently looking into doing some web design courses. Can anyone recommend any in the cork area?

I finished a 4 year degree last May in Software Development and Networking but I would like to get to grips a bit more with web design.

I have the coding knowledge for web development but my design skills leave a lot to be desired and therefore im looking for some course to get to grips with photoshop and/or fireworks.

I have played around with both but I need a bit of direction to get my head around the whole concept of designing a site in either program.

Can anyone recommend any good courses for web design?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

FAS do a good 4mth course in DW, PS, Illustrator etc. Well, the company that they contracted did a good job. I'm not so sure about their in house training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

FAS do a good 4mth in DW, PS, Illustrator etc. Well, the company that they contracted did a good job. I'm not so sure about their in house training.

It's great to see a web design course that actually considers design skills a requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

I've just enrolled in Ballsbridge College of further education for their one year multimedia / web authoring course. has anyone done this? I'm currently unemployed so this course suited me as it won't affect my social welfare payments.

it was a toss up between this and the one in dundrum but they seem to have dropped their multimedia part and replaced it with animation which didn't interest me.

one thing that is of slight concern, the whole course is done thru windows and I'm just about to get a MacBook....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Why don't you ask the course what programmes they are using. At least you would be in a better position to assess what your options are. For example, perhaps it isn't too late to cancel the Mac. Though I would imagine that most of the programmes you will be using will be cross platform.

ah the MAC is a second hand too good to be true offer so I can't/dont want to cancel it.

I did ask, and the programs in use are the same, just the operations systems are all windows based.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭mossy464

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

The FAS one looks good but its full time and I am currently working full time.

Anyone know of any good Night courses in this subject?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭mossy464

Just giving this a bump :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

bc dub wrote: »
    I've just enrolled in Ballsbridge College of further education for their one year multimedia / web authoring course. has anyone done this?

This course seems to be oriented around the Adobe suite only. That's a bad thing.

Courses are one thing, but to an employer the best people are the ones who figure out 'things' from the most up-to-date and authoritative online sources. Far too much course material is out-of-date, bad practice, product suite oriented and overpriced.

thanks. I just checked again and it says that adobe is a part of some of the subjects thought. I understand there's more to website then adobe, but this is only the beginning of courses for me to be honest. I'm limited to course choices for now, so I think it will suit me fine. think = hope ;)

Advertisement