Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emulating Guitar Strum in MIDI Sequencers

Options
  • 22-02-2011 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

Hi lads,

I'm sure a few of you have tried to do this.. Just wondering if there's an easier way or more realistic way of doing it, preferably purely in MIDI, not using VST..

I normally match the notes of each chord on the piano, and then play that chord with each note slightly delayed like a strum. I dont want to record in my acoustic, as I need to change keys frequently..

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

It's impossible to program. Have you thought about a guitar to MIDI system? They're really good these days, and not expensive. You'd get a used Yamaha or Roland unit for small money, attaches to any guitar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

madtheory wrote: »
    It's impossible to program.

+1 a nightmare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

+2

no need, especially now since fender have just brought out a cheap midi guitar in their squire range.

stra-official-rm-eng.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

You say you don't want to use VST but I would imagine you need a virtual instrument to play the MIDI notes?

I imagine that just recording the acoustic guitar would be the easiest and most authentic sounding option here.........would it take that long?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

It's pretty difficult. You stagger each of the notes in the chord being strummed and change the velocity of each note to suit. It's a nightmare to get right and it will never sound truly authentic. As everyone else said, get a MIDI pickup!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

If you're a keyboard player, you could also get harpsichord lessons. Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

madtheory wrote: »
    It's impossible to program. Have you thought about a guitar to MIDI system?

Well I'm not flush with funds at the moment, and I really cant afford the space of another magic box.. I've loads of the fekn things.. However I did look up what you were saying about Guitar To MIDI .. (havent looked up the technology in years, I just remember it not being great).. have to say I was impressed by this one.. Roland GI-20.. it seems not to be on Thomann for some reason all the same.. I couldnt get a price on it either.

It's pretty difficult. You stagger each of the notes in the chord being strummed and change the velocity of each note to suit. It's a nightmare to get right and it will never sound truly authentic. As everyone else said, get a MIDI pickup!
    I move between PCs that have UGM soundfont bank installed that I use for creating the back tracks.. So I try not to use VSTs where possible to ease the transfer of the files between PCs..

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

I move between PCs that have UGM soundfont bank installed that I use for creating the back tracks.. So I try not to use VSTs where possible to ease the transfer of the files between PCs..

Not sure I understand what the issue is here regarding not using VST's. You can just route the audio outputted from the VST into a normal audio track and record it. Then you can transfer it like any other file.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭Doge

However I did look up what you were saying about Guitar To MIDI .. (havent looked up the technology in years, I just remember it not being great)..

The best audio to midi converter that i've ever tried out is IntelliScore Ensemble.

You could try recording a wav file of yourself playing the guitar,
    and then importing the wav in there to convert it to a midi track.

Since its only one instrument we're talking, it should be able to do it well.

The wizard allows you to provide a good description of what exactly you're trying to convert,
    which can help achieve better results when dealing with multitrack audio.

Theres actually a polyphonic edition of Intelliscore that is specifically for single instrument tracks.

Heres a link to the demo:

http://www.intelliscore.net/ispd.exe

It would be interesting to see what you think of it.

• Advertisement

Digital Ear might be worth a go also:

http://www.digital-ear.com/digital-ear/index.asp?tab=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

waveform wrote: »
    Theres actually a polyphonic edition of Intelliscore that is specifically for single instrument tracks. It would be interesting to see what you think of it.

Just downloading it at the moment waveform, I remember taking down one of the WAVE->MIDI converters before and it was hilariously bad... but I'm sure like the Guitar->MIDI tool above... (which is incredible, I'd no idea things had progressed that far).. it is much better than it used to be.

Advertisement