Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URGENT Advice, injured bird

Options
  • 22-02-2011 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

Help needed, a bird (no idea what kind, its brown and fits in my hand, smaller than a pigeon bigger than a robin etc) flew into a window at work and was lying on the ground in shock. So far I’ve gotten a box filled it with paper towels and put it in it with a lid on partially cut away for air and to let it fly away if it comes around. Its outside my office window where I can see it and I’ve checked on it a few times its alive but doing nothing bar breathing, eyes are open etc. this happened at about 8:30am. I rang the vets and the nurse said he’ll prob die of shock if he’s gonna die and keep him in a box and if he comes around and is injured in a few hours bring him in.

Just not sure what I’m doing is enough for the little guy. Would I be better off putting him in a fully enclosed box with airholes in my car for example where it would be warmer, quieter and darker?

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

Well done for trying to help him. I think that website above will have everything you need to know.

I know in my Mum's garden, this used to happen a lot - birds would stun themselves against the window. She used to leave them and eventually they would come around and fly off.

Fingers crossed he makes a full recovery. It could just take time.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

thanks had found that website and its good alright.

gonna move him to my car at lunchtime in a covered (but ventilated) box so hes warmer, dryer, quieter and kept in the dark. if he'd still alive by 6pm i'll drop him to the vets.

this happened last year at home with a robin but he was flying about and gone again within a half hour, this guys had 3 hours now in the box and all its doing is moving its tail and breathing

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

dropped it to the vets there at lunch, was still alive after 5 hours anyway so fingers crossed, looks like it was a female blackbird. hopefully just still in shock and no major injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

Oh well done. Hope it's a good outcome.
    Do you need to release her back near where you found her? (See how optimistic I am?!):)

• Advertisement
Advertisement