Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what type of dogs do ye have?

Options
  • 21-02-2011 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

just curious is all :p

and are your dogs kept in or out??

i have a 12month old b/white english springer callled lilly.. . . and is kept inside ... and even sleeps in my bed
    (yes in the bed and not on the bed :p)

we had a 17 yr old english setter up until last week .. passed away in her sleep :( still heart broken..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Aw sorry about your dog...its heartbreaking.

I have two Yorkies and a foster jack russell, all sleep in the kitchen. Couldnt even think of leaving them outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

Jack Russell Cross (male) - he sleeps inside at night in his basket and his mini blanket! In the tv room cos kitchen is abit small...Love him too much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

I forgot to say I am very sorry about your dog. Time will heal. x hugs x

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I got one of these, soft as shit she is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

stressica, so sorry about your Setter but glad you have another dog to give all that love to....

We have a Ruby Cavalier King Charles who looks like a mini Red Setter....She sleeps with us (in fact, she's known as The Berlin Wall:D)...........She must know I'm talking about her as she's trying to get up on the PC table......:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 silkenfla

I've an Old English Sheepdog and he's just the best ;). He had a bit of a sore leg on him and my sis rang me today to say that he was ok (was going to bring him to the vet) but I missed the call because I was in work. I checked my voicemail and it's my dog "talking" on the phone for a good minute...that's my sis' way of saying he was fine :D....

OP sorry to hear about your dog :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

Rottweiler: Sleeps in the box room
    Japanese Spitz: Sleeps in the the back room
    Chihuahua: Sleeps in the her crate in the kitchen

If it is warm and I am out though the 2 bigger ones will be outside in a walled garden where they have an insulated kennel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

OP very sorry about your dog.
    We have Sindy a cross between a golden retriever and english spaniel. She's nearly two.
    We adopted Fargo 4 weeks ago he's nearly 6 months old and a cross between a Jack Russell and a King Charles Spaniel.
    Two gorgeous doggies :-)
    They both sleep inside on the landing though Fargo is still crated. No indoor accidents in 4 days when he makes 10 he gets out :-) They do stay in the garden when we're not there. They have a kennell but they prefer our sofa's. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I have 6 dogs.... all sleep in the kitchen. They were meant to sleep in the insulated heated garage but then hubby found one sleeping on his precious ducati and they were banned from the garage!!

Mine are all mutts, here goes -

Border collie x terrier
    Springer spaniel x JRT
    Lab x toilet brush (honestly his mother was the ugliest looking scruffy mutt I've ever seen!)
    GSD x spaniel - the dog responsible for the garage ban!
    and
    2 JRT types

I'm in the process of doing up a shed for the dogs to sleep in with insulation, electricity for heating and lighting, and their own super ser to dry them off when they come back from the beach. The smell of 6 wet dogs in the kitchen is ungodly, especially when you're house is as tiny as mine :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭pitbull_fanatic

i'v a staffy and an APBT. they both sleep on top of each in their bed in the tv room....untill i go to bed they sneak up onto the couch. i can hear their nails walking over to it every night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Iv a black 6 month Newfoundland with small bit of white on his chest, he is 7 and half stone of fluff, little bear/gorilla depending on which kid you pass, sleeps in the kitchen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

have a sheepdog, 3rd gen. she doesnt like to be in the house so she sleeps in her kitted out shed out the back of the house.

second lad is a stray we took in about 5/6 years go. tiny lad, havnt a clue what breed he is. he sleeps(takes over) in the bed with myself.

3rd but by no means last, redsetter! slept in my bed for all her little life, half of mine, but now she sleeps under the stars everynight! 1 year on, and missed everyday!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭TaraR

I have 3 staffordshire bull terriers and an APBT 2 sleep indoors and 2 sleep in there kennels in the pen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

I have a 7month old yorkie and a 3 year old miniature schnauzer they both sleep inside in our bedroom!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

We have an 8 month old white and liver english springer called cooper! He is an absolute rogue, plays out in the garden all day and scratches at the back door when it starts getting dark to get into the kitchen where he sleeps in his bed under the table!! We got him back in October and agreed that when it gets warmer and he's a bit older he will start sleeping outside in his kennel:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

We have a 12 month old female shih tzu. She sleeps in the kitchen...................

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

OP sorry to hear about your loss... :o

I have a six year old male cocker spaniel (jet black... with some grey hairs now)... sleep by the radiator in the kitchen in his bed with his teddies....
    best dog ever :D

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sassychick

I have a nearly 3 year old boxer and she sleeps in my bed at night and kitchen during the day:D

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

Op so sorry to hear about your loss. We lost our Springer last November aged 16 and are still so sad and miss him.

We have 4 dogs at present:

5 year old retriever girl - the dream dog - lives on her looks
    4 year old pom x (boss of the house and little brat - boy)
    3 year old English Setter - have you got all day?
    5 month old GSD x puppy - dumped in a cardboard box on 19th Dec in minus 6 degrees.

All sleep in the kitchen or sitting room, depending on mud levels on the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

I have a cocker/springer spaniel, 10 months old... mad as a brush but adorable....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I have to *insist* on a pic of the GSD pupster :D

Sorry to hear of your doggy passing OP.

I have a 4 and a bit year old German Shepherd girl, love of my life, sleeps indoors in her crate made into a den with a bed and paul fecking costello throw! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭grungepants

I have a king charles....i hate it.Its so spoiled by everyone in my house theres no disipline.shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭spur

I have a bearded-border collie cross. Gorgeous dog (not that I'm biased!!)
    I had a beardie previously and wanted another. Swore that he'd be an outside dog and he'd be a dog, not a baby-substitute etc etc - all the things I'm sure lots of people swear when replacing an adored dog!!!
    This fella landed, was put into a kennel at night as planned - and howled and howled (and you have to hear this, it makes me wonder what other cross is in there). Within a week, he was in the house - but downstairs!!!! Then he used to sneak upstairs, but raced down if he was caught - that lasted about another week!!!!
    Now he's got the run of the house. Lots of nights, he stands next to my chair with this face on him and all he wants is an invite to jump on my lap - he's a big dog!!! So then I'm craning around him to watch TV!!
    Occasionally, he's missing and we go looking - where is he, curled up on our bed!! (Now that is rare enough and we don't know what makes him do it)
    The one thing I am strict about is he gets his food - correctly measured and if he doesn't eat it, its removed. I monitor whatever treats he gets - now he does get them and he gets more than he should - but alot lot less than could happen!!
    He has a beardie face and if any of you know that face, it's irresitable!!!
    For the poster that's lost her dog, I know you don't want to hear it now, but time is a great healer - I will never ever forget the misery of the first 2 or 3 days after I lost my original beardie, and it took a few months to even want another dog - swore I'd never put myself through it again. But another dog does actually help - especially as we were able to get another equally as cracked!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

We have a grand total of six dogs! According to my parents that's the max we are allowed and we're not getting anymore. So many but I couldn't give up any of them.

1. Border collie x german shepherd, 7 years old. Our first dog, she sleeps in my parents bedroom, I think she sleeps on the floor but gets up if my dad gets out of bed. Apparently mornings are Diesel and mum times.

2. Border collie cross. Not entirely sure what of, an old agility trainer said he was probably a welsh working collie but he's from the pound so we will never know! He's at least 9 we think but maybe older, just starting to get grey around his nose, I have to admit he's getting old now. When I'm there, he sleeps on my bed (takes up most of it) when I'm not he sleeps beside my parents' bed and begs to be let into my room most of the time.

3. Tricolour shetland sheepdog. Over two, maybe pushing three, I can't quite remember. She sleeps in my parents room, I think she likes the pillows most of all. We're hoping she is pregnant with her first litter at the moment, all excited about that, though terrified at the same time.

4. Sable shetland sheepdog. Just over the 1 and a half I think. He likes to sleep between my parents. He's our little Crufts qualifier, so proud of him :)

5. Blue Merle Shetland sheepdog. Just over 6 months. He's in the kitchen. In act at night he generally gets up and leaves the living room and goes to the kitchen when he decides its bed time.

6. Tricolour shetland sheepdog. Between 3 and 4 months. She's in the kitchen too.

Any new dogs will always be going into the kitchen (not that there should be any for a while other than the possible puppies) We were going to put the older ones down stairs too but I don't think my mum could part with them at night. They're the best hot water bottles you could ever ask for+

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

17, what a great old age he lived to, but sorry to hear the news.

I have a soft coated wheaten terrier who stays inside, except for walks & playing he hates outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

I have a Springer Spaniel....He's mad! :D He stays outside :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I've got big ones and small ones, skinny and chubby ones, hairy and not so hairy one :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I have 20 month old male Shih Tzu. He's throughly spoiled and is totally a house dog. He's a great character who's given us a lot of joy and laughs over the months. He's trained to sleep in his crate at night, but has been known to sneak into our room to sleep. My husband goes up first, dog follows him to 'keep him company'. When I get to bed, I'm met with the big sad eyes, so I'm sorry to say I do give in and let him sleep on the bed - Which the dog then takes over!:D

I've had a JRT, whippet cross, and Mr Heinz dogs as a child. Later on, I had two Dobies (wonderful dogs and I would have another if I could). One my then partner bought, and the other we adopted as the poor thing had been dumped on the common.

I've also had three cats, having lost the last in October. Think of him every day, and figuring out whether I would get another.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Lab X, GSD and live with a Lab now.

Had to get my GSD put down age 8 due to a untreatable skin disease, very upsetting.
    Next dog will be a GSD, my grandparents had them and i spent a lot of time with their dogs so I have a great affection for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

A beautiful Parson Russel Terrier with a smooth coat. He's 8 and a half but still acts like a little puppy.

Our last guy was a little Jack Russell Terrier, smooth coat, who had cancer and had to go to sleep at aged 9. I still get upset thinking about him 9 years later!

Both were rescued and both brought/bring so much joy :)

Advertisement