Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple of things about Froyo pissing me off.

Options
  • 21-02-2011 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    I updated to Froyo recently on my Desire to sort out a few problems with eclair (namely poor battery, dysfunctional fm radio app and inability to put apps on sd card).
    Froyo has, in fairness to it, solved these issues but it has thrown up its own problems (which i think are flash related).

When i bring up the software keyboard to type in a text box i get this prick of a black band across the screen that totally obscures the text. So i've no idea what i just typed until i remove the keyboard.

The other problem is that scrolling in the native browser can slow to a crawl unless i disable the flash plugin in the settings (not ideal).

Any solutions- to the first problem especially.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Swap the keyboard for another one such as ShapeWriter

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭chinchin

mkennedy wrote: »
    The other problem is that scrolling in the native browser can slow to a crawl unless i disable the flash plugin in the settings (not ideal).

Noticed that too on a few sites, didn't realise what was causing it until now, thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MC_G

Where did you get the update?

The black band could be a corrupted/badly patched .9png.

I'd try downloading and reinstalling the update. No ideas about the flash/browser plugin slowness though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

get Gingerbread! (sorry :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

MC_G wrote: »
    Where did you get the update?

The black band could be a corrupted/badly patched .9png.

I'd try downloading and reinstalling the update. No ideas about the flash/browser plugin slowness though.

OTA.
    All updates.

• Advertisement

get Gingerbread! (sorry :o)

Any drawbacks.

Any drawbacks.

you have to Custom ROM because HTC are profiteering and holding back the GB update

you have to Cutom ROM because HTC are profiteering and holding back the GB update

Right.
    TBH i'm conservative when it comes to modding/updating (i'm generally happy with android and my motto tends to be if it's not broke don't fix it).
    I did have a custom modaco rom (eclair based) on it but just unrooted and then updated to stock froyo and intended not to root again.
    But what stable gingerbread custom roms would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Modaco is bollox, install cyanogen 7 (gingerbread). Then come back here and poast in caps about how awesome it is.

Right.
    TBH i'm conservative when it comes to modding/updating (i'm generally happy with android and my motto tends to be if it's not broke don't fix it).
    I did have a custom modaco rom (eclair based) on it but just unrooted and then updated to stock froyo and intended not to root again.
    But what stable gingerbread custom roms would you recommend?

regarding ROMs; I love CM7, but you lose Sesne

I was actually only joking :p, easier solution would be to go into settings>apps>manage apps and clear keyboard data

Browser is improved in GB tho (I'm not sure tho, never used it on Froyo TBH)

• Advertisement

srsly78 wrote: »
    Modaco is bollox, install cyanogen 7 (gingerbread). Then come back here and poast in caps about how awesome it is.

I tried one of the Cyanogenmod roms.
    I like having sense so wasn't mad about it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Sense is only good for wasting battery in my opinion, but each to their own. Most sense features can be replaced by various widgets etc, but some people really like the facebook integration etc.

Surely there is a way to completely replace Sense these days? Admittedly I haven't gone around looking for it because I don't care :) But I'm sure it's out there. For me the main thing was the big clock widget, and Beautiful Widgets provides an even better one. Also, ADW launcher allows widget rescaling, so my pretty clock takes up the whole screen rather than 4x2.

Advertisement