Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant login to iMac

Options
  • 21-02-2011 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hi,

not if this is in the correct place so mods please move if need be.

a mate of mine recently bought a imac G5, he got it from a school he used to work at for €80 because it is locked and no one knows the log in details, and it has no keyboard or mouse. its just the unit.

it seems to be a late 2006 17', dual core model going by this
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1463

so does anyone know a way to bypass the login or setup a new account?
    after a quick google search all i can see is to re-install the OS, but he dosent have any disks for it.

any ideas??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

If it is an intel mac then snow leopard will run on it. A snow leopard installation disc is only 30 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭Talisman

You can boot it from a system disc and reset the administrator password.

Changing your administrator password

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

If it is an intel mac then snow leopard will run on it. A snow leopard installation disc is only 30 quid.

:rolleyes:

OP I'm guessing it's running Tiger or Mac OS X 10.4.x. The latest version of Mac OS that will run on your machine is Leopard 10.5.x. In fact you can use a Leopard disc to change the password for the Admin account without installing it.

If you don't know where to obtain one PM me and I'm sure I can help you out.

As for the keyboard/mouse - any USB Keyboard and mouse should work with it albeit without the Apple key unless it's a genuine Apple keyboard.

Ken

ZENER wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

what I say wrong?! Is it that it must be a 64 bit CPU?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

what I say wrong?! Is it that it must be a 64 bit CPU?
    The OP said it was G5 iMac. But then they contradicted themselves and said it was a late 2006 dual core.

• Advertisement

The OP said it was G5 iMac. But then they contradicted themselves and said it was a late 2006 dual core.

Ah right.

Well done ken for knowing your G5s from your G6s!

Advertisement