Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JEDWARD

Options
  • 21-02-2011 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

PLEASE PLEASE explain what is the attraction with JEDWARD , why dont i get it?? they cant sing they prance aroundlike faries and they can fill a stadium no problem what am i missing??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

They're probably not vegetarians/vegans:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I've seen some bizarre threads on here... but Jedward?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

HAHA AM SORRY LADS IM NEW TO THIS NEVER LOOKED AT THE TOPIC BUT MAYBE IN HINDSIGHT THEY FIT RIGHT IN VEGTABLES LOL OR MAYBE THAT WOULD BE INSULTING TO VEGTABLES AT LEAST THEY HAVE A USE LOL:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Moved to the Music forum.

Sorry guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Moved to the Music forum.

Sorry guys!

Music forum?:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Fill a stadium? When did that happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

10 year old boys and girls, and their mobile phone operators like them. They are a novelty act, aimed at the kids market.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

They played at a Dublin match at half time. Not exactly U2 proportions. Although I guess they can always say they played midfield in Croke Park

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

cordub wrote: »
    PLEASE PLEASE explain what is the attraction with JEDWARD , why dont i get it??
    Because the general public are like sheep being told what to like by music promoters who target the younger demographic. The promoters know that most parents can't or won't take the time to educate their children as to what proper music is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

12/1 to win?? think its worth a tenner ..heard worse crap than this become huge eurocrappop hits..altough having a euro hit doesnt equate to eurovision success..everyone in Ireland is sick of them but wait to till the 16-20 yr old in Lativa for e.g see them??

John Paul Henry Daniel Richard Grimes and Edward Peter Anthony Kevin Patrick Grimes

How does anyone have this many fore names (5)

I have three ..

1)Birth and second name 2)Confirmation...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BattyInNZ

4Sheets wrote: »
    12/1 to win?? think its worth a tenner ..heard worse crap than this become huge eurocrappop hits..altough having a euro hit doesnt equate to eurovision success..everyone in Ireland is sick of them but wait to till the 16-20 yr old in Lativa for e.g see them??

John Paul Henry Daniel Richard Grimes and Edward Peter Anthony Kevin Patrick Grimes

How does anyone have this many fore names (5)

I have three ..

1)Birth and second name 2)Confirmation...

Hahah my mum wanted to give me three names and the priest said to keep one and give it the next one! :D She did too!

I live in New Zealand and had heard of Jedward but never actually heard them till tonight. Remember the ad? you look awful you can't play but you'll go far? Jedward!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Well they're not taking it seriously, and I don't think many other people are taking them seriously... They're laughing all the way to the bank, and it's not like they have any integrity or anything to worry about losing... Fair play to them.

I don't get why people get so up in arms about them, like they're taking away from any other musicians. Anyone with half a passing interest in music knows they're not valid in any artistic sense, they're not harming anyone.

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Anyone with half a passing interest in music knows they're not valid in any artistic sense, they're not harming anyone.
    The problem isn't their artistic validity though, it's the fact that they are being handsomely rewarded for mediocrity. As far as I can tell with the thankfully limited exposure I've had to them, their claim to fame appears to be an interesting haircut and a celebration of the fact that they can't sing or dance to the same level as their competitors on X-Factor. Sadly their mediocrity is being celebrated and turned into a commodity. Marketing then demonstrates to youngsters that this a good thing. A previous generation got to see Michael Jackson. The current generation gets Jedward. Is that not harmful?

Malice wrote: »
    The problem isn't their artistic validity though, it's the fact that they are being handsomely rewarded for mediocrity. As far as I can tell with the thankfully limited exposure I've had to them, their claim to fame appears to be an interesting haircut and a celebration of the fact that they can't sing or dance to the same level as their competitors on X-Factor. Sadly their mediocrity is being celebrated and turned into a commodity. Marketing then demonstrates to youngsters that this a good thing. A previous generation got to see Michael Jackson. The current generation gets Jedward. Is that not harmful?

Michael Jackson had his own songs though, Jedward do covers. Right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

The previous generation had Milli Vanilli and Black Lace. Every generation has it's share of insufferable dross. I don't think Jedward are really a symbol of civilisation in decline, just that marketing people have found another act to fill the gap between Peppa Pig and A Chemical Romance.

Michael Jackson had his own songs though, Jedward do covers. Right?
    All I've ever heard are Jedward covers, I can't conclusively state that covers are all they do as I don't go out of my way to listen to them. Either way I don't understand the point you're trying to make.
    The previous generation had Milli Vanilli and Black Lace. Every generation has it's share of insufferable dross. I don't think Jedward are really a symbol of civilisation in decline, just that marketing people have found another act to fill the gap between Peppa Pig and A Chemical Romance.
    Heh, I was actually going to mention Mili Vanilli in my last post but I didn't have time. Maybe it's just the advent of the Internet giving anyone with an opinion the opportunity to share it with the world but I honestly think there's a massive rise in the cult of the celebrity and people who are famous for being famous and nothing else. Jedward are but a small part of this.

It frustrates me to see the likes of Jedward promoted as something worth spending money on. I'm sure we can all think of more deserving acts who will never grab the attention of Louis Walsh and therefore will never catch the attention of Jedward's target market and make them realise that there is far better music out there worth listening to.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

All I've ever heard are Jedward covers, I can't conclusively state that covers are all they do as I don't go out of my way to listen to them. Either way I don't understand the point you're trying to make.

Heh, I was actually going to mention Mili Vanilli in my last post but I didn't have time. Maybe it's just the advent of the Internet giving anyone with an opinion the opportunity to share it with the world but I honestly think there's a massive rise in the cult of the celebrity and people who are famous for being famous and nothing else. Jedward are but a small part of this.

It frustrates me to see the likes of Jedward promoted as something worth spending money on. I'm sure we can all think of more deserving acts who will never grab the attention of Louis Walsh and therefore will never catch the attention of Jedward's target market and make them realise that there is far better music out there worth listening to.
    too true louis walsh only wants to make money he certainly cant be called a MUSIC promoter after promoting these idiots . What drives me demented is this kindof gay act thing they do . Are they actually gay or is this popular thing at the moment ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I'm not sure if they are gay, I'm not sure they have the brainpower to understand what that means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

irish-stew wrote: »
    10 year old boys and girls, and their mobile phone operators like them. They are a novelty act, aimed at the kids market.

That's it basically. They are children's entertainers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭RayCon

• Advertisement

That they're completely different things, you can't compare them. Michael Jackson was an artist, and a bloody good one, Jedward are a novelty cover act. I don't know a whole lot about Jedward or MJ, but as far as I can tell, any argument made by comparing the two is ridiculous.

That they're completely different things, you can't compare them. Michael Jackson was an artist, and a bloody good one, Jedward are a novelty cover act. I don't know a whole lot about Jedward or MJ, but as far as I can tell, any argument made by comparing the two is ridiculous.
    Well I'm going to have to completely disagree with your last point. Firstly Michael Jackson and Jedward are both pop acts. Secondly my comparison wasn't about them directly, it was more that a far higher quality of pop act was presented to audiences of previous generations.

I realise that I'm far from an authorative source on historical pop acts and also that history doesn't tend to record the novelty or one-hit wonder type acts too well so maybe it's just me being cynical in my old age and the 1980s were in fact full of similar dross (see the aforementioned Mili Vanilli for example :)).

Well I'm going to have to completely disagree with your last point. Firstly Michael Jackson and Jedward are both pop acts. Secondly my comparison wasn't about them directly, it was more that a far higher quality of pop act was presented to audiences of previous generations.

I realise that I'm far from an authorative source on historical pop acts and also that history doesn't tend to record the novelty or one-hit wonder type acts too well so maybe it's just me being cynical in my old age and the 1980s were in fact full of similar dross (see the aforementioned Mili Vanilli for example :)).

Just because they both make pop music doesn't mean they're comparable. Like you wouldn't compare Misfits to Black Flag or GWAR to Mayhem. MJ was a serious pop act making great music to dance to, Jedward are, objectively, jumping around like morons and singing very badly :p

But it's not that big a deal, not the point of the thread :pac:

you wouldn't compare Misfits to Black Flag or GWAR to Mayhem.
    Why wouldn't you compare them? The Misfits against Black Flag is punk v punk and GWAR against Mayhem is metal v metal. Okay you could bring the sub-genres of horror punk and black metal into it but otherwise they are the same genre.
    El Pr0n wrote:
    But it's not that big a deal, not the point of the thread :pac:
    True but it's probably a more interesting debate :).

Advertisement