Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CMS - which is best for my needs?

Options
  • 21-02-2011 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for CMS options for a relatively simple build. I haven't used a CMS before (well, I've never built for one) and the client is not well versed in anything other than the basics.

I've been playing around with Joomla! (just got to the point of installing it) and have used Wordpress in the past.

What are the best options considering the all-round lack of CMS experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

What are the best options considering the all-round lack of CMS experience?

Really it depends on the project spec ....

If it's for a property website there are some nice joomla modules ...

If it's for a blog wordpress is great ... a lot of sites use it more and more as a CMS .. given the range of free themes / frameworks and plugins as well it's pretty amazing

If you're expecting heavy traffic to the site something like MovableType could be cool though I'm not sure if they are killing off development of that (it's a publishing system so not continually hitting the database)

Personally I love CMS Made Simple have been a big fan for a long time.

Really it's up to you and the actual spec of the job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

TBH, I don't know that they want yet :o But I expect it will be something simple like a 1/2 column layout. It's actually for a charity, so I expect fairly low traffic levels and fairly static content across the site (perhaps with one or two sections being updated regularly).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

If it's a simple site my vote's with WordPress, plus you have experience using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I think you're right. I've installed WP and within 5 minutes it was up and running. This is opposed to the day I took to read up on Joomla basics and even after that I still couldn't get it working.

I'll probably work of WP for these folks and revisit Joomla at my leisure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 trickobrien

Wordpress for static content is king.You can find great themes (both paid and free).Wordpress sites on average tend to get indexed faster and rank higher,not to mention the 3,000 or so plugins.

I love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Have a look at http://php.opensourcecms.com/ and play around with the demo's of the different CMS's, it really depends on what sort of site you need it for.

Advertisement